• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

TF-104G * * F I N I S H E D * *

TF-104G - First paint on.

Just a small side note from being around German F-104's it seemed like the day glo orange was usually worn through somewhere and yellow paint was visible underneath. ( most likely a primmer )

Cheers, Christian B)

Yeah I remember them very well, Christian. I spent two weeks at Leck with AKG52 (Squadron exchange). They were flying RF-4's then but on the north side of the field there were 12-15 RF-104's that were being refurbished for either the Greek AF or the Turks. We drove over one afternoon for a close look and to take some photos. Some were still immaculate, most were in a terrible state. I have a photo of one, were the orange had bleached out almost to white on the top of the tank.

Someone here (I think) said something about sometimes building an aircraft as if it had just come-out of the paintshop or from overhaul. That's what I'm hoping to do with this one... which is really hard for me !! - Nothing but a couple of oil streaks and that's it !!

Ian

Yeah I remember them very well, Christian. I spent two weeks at Leck with AKG52 (Squadron exchange). They were flying RF-4's then but on the north side of the field there were 12-15 RF-104's that were being refurbished for either the Greek AF or the Turks. We drove over one afternoon for a close look and to take some photos. Some were still immaculate, most were in a terrible state. I have a photo of one, were the orange had bleached out almost to white on the top of the tank.

Someone here (I think) said something about sometimes building an aircraft as if it had just come-out of the paintshop or from overhaul. That's what I'm hoping to do with this one... which is really hard for me !! - Nothing but a couple of oil streaks and that's it !!

Ian

Although their paint jobs got ratty at times, I don't particularly remember any leaks on them . They appeared to be well maintained. :rotf Guess I made a good target .

I did spent some time at one of their bases for cross servicing but can't remember the name of it :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

While driving along a hilltop in my yellow Beetle I got buzzed by one that nearly caused me to run off the road

TF-104G - Paint done.

Love Xtracolour enamels. Take a good two days to dry thouroughly, but d*mn they're bulletproof when they're done !!

Thanks as ever for taking the time to look and/or comment. Decals next, and that's going to take a while because the stencils are everywhere !!

Ian

TF-104G - Paint done.

After curing Xtracolor enamel smells very nice :) Great job Ian!! :popcorn

All the best!
Dusan.

TF-104G - Paint done.

Looking good! (y)

Where do you put it to let the paint dry? Do you have a enclosed box or something along that line?

:popcorn

TF-104G - Paint done.

Great question, Sherm....

You won't believe this, with this one I simply stood the thing in the box lid, put a few glass bottles of Tamiya paint in aswell for stability, then put it on the deck/patio/porch in full sunshine (because it's summer here, the temp is in the mid-20's pretty much all day), and covered the box with one of those mesh covers you use to keep flies off the food !!

Brought it in around 9 in the evening just as it cools-off. Next morning, repeat the process !!

Ta-daaaaa.

Ian

TF-104G - Paint done.

You should see it 'in-the-flesh' Les.... you need Wayfarer's and a headache pill !!

Ian

TF-104G - Paint done.

What would be really cool is to see a weathered version of this jet complete with some lightly mottled white over the orange to represent sun fading.

Matrixone

TF-104G - Paint done.

Les, I've seen folks more talented than I who have done that, but for this one, I'm going to keep it as 'showroom fresh' as possible yet still retain some realism. Sort of an inverse challenge for me !!

Ian

TF-104G - Paint done.

Decals started yesterday after a wee bit of a hiatus....

Beautifully thin and superb to work with. HaHen decals = Highly recommended :good:

Ian

TF-104G - Decals started.

No photo, for this update.

Started adding the stencils this afternoon. I know there's a lot of them, but in a two-hour session, I managed to do just the stabiliser, the upper wings and the right side of the fuselage (almost).... I've reached a natural break, so have put it to one side 'till tomorrow.

Stay tuned !!

Ian

Back