• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mirage IIIO * * F I N I S H E D * *

Mirage IIIO - Paint

Doing the wings was really fun - no I actually mean that :v - It's a technique I've used before on an aircraft with very simple lines. Just lay on some wide strips of masking tape, draw on the pattern:

hd80d499.JPG

h561c4df.JPG

h91a8b7c.JPG

Then lift-off carefully and in sequence, then lay it on the cutting board:

h0e086c3.JPG

and trace around with a sharp blade, return it to the model (see the panel lines match-up), plus a couple of wee 'sausages' for where the tape tore, and there ya go !! :woohoo:

h3db9e06.JPG

hbb46a5f.JPG

Don't touch that dial, back after these messages from your local station...

Ian.

Mirage IIIO - Paint

As of last night, here's where it stands:

h455053b.JPG

h31e4604.JPG

ha51c6e9.JPG

h9f8c803.JPG

The radome is the same 'off-black' tone that I used for the cockpit the section between the radome and the windshield is Tamiya semi-gloss black straight from the bottle - this (paint) feature is unique to Aussie Mirage's, if anyone knows why they did that, feel free to post in to the thread - I'd really like to know !! - In the meantime I couldn't resist pushing the droptanks in to place and snap a couple of pics of it making a very low pass over the bench !!

h34ec39b.JPG

hb4fb343.JPG

he176baa.JPG

Thanks for sticking with me and taking the time to look and/or comment, AFN.

Ian.

Mirage IIIO - Paint

As of last night, here's where it stands:

h455053b.JPG

h31e4604.JPG

ha51c6e9.JPG

h9f8c803.JPG

The radome is the same 'off-black' tone that I used for the cockpit the section between the radome and the windshield is Tamiya semi-gloss black straight from the bottle - this (paint) feature is unique to Aussie Mirage's, if anyone knows why they did that, feel free to post in to the thread - I'd really like to know !! - In the meantime I couldn't resist pushing the droptanks in to place and snap a couple of pics of it making a very low pass over the bench !!

h34ec39b.JPG

hb4fb343.JPG

he176baa.JPG

Thanks for sticking with me and taking the time to look and/or comment, AFN.

Ian.

Groovy baby! :coolio

Mirage IIIO - Paint

:good:

Nice!

I hope to get back to mine. Been a crazy couple weeks...resulting in no time at the bench. :unsure:

Mirage IIIO - On finals

Decals on - 30 year old Microscale set, behaved impeccably !!. Also shot a coat of satin on the topsides.

hf0d80e6.JPG

hb1a5bbb.JPG

h391823f.jpg

Next time you see it, t'will be done. Thanks folks for riding along on this one.

Ian.

Mirage IIIO - On finals

Beauty! I almost went with that scheme. The blue rudder came sooo close to luring me in. :laugh: Excellent choice.

Mirage IIIO - On finals

Looking good ! I tell you, the Microscale decals have alway held up for me . Other are like Russian roulette :frantic

Mirage IIIO - On finals

Should've started an Aussie/Kiwi campaign with this one (though I know when you started, you still didn't know which nationality you were going to build). You're gonna be done before me...even though you started a fair bit later. :laugh:

Mirage IIIO - On finals

Kit - Italeri (nee Esci) 1:48
Paint - All Xtracolour enamels
Decals - Microscale 48-128 & 298
Extras - Lots of filler & swearing !!

AMD Mirage III0
3 Squadron RAAF
Butterworth, Malaysia
Early 1980's

hdd3eb4b.jpg

hf217379.jpg

hd8fe65e.jpg

h5c7895d.jpg

h2b87639.jpg

h81958be.jpg

h6578665.jpg

Once again, thanks to everyone who watched & commented on the WiP, as ever all criticism, comments & questions are welcome. Next, back to the Crusader and the F-15.

AFN

Ian.

Back