• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya SU-76M Finished!

Tamiya SU-76M Still Scrambling

Think you're opinion is likely the more educated one Tony. You have to ask, why would a cleaning rod have a point on it? Did they get that caked up with trash?

Pup I looked it up in my SU-76 book(in live living color too) and a close up photo said they were "crow bars"????also there was not a sign of any color on them.

Uncle Tony :idonno :eek:ldguy

WOW looking good Mike. Really like the extras you are doing. I would go for aiming rods also but from the one pic I found they dont have any stipres on them.

SU_76M_11.jpg

yVJUntb.jpg

But this pic from Kagero says they are crow bars???

su76-1.png

James

Yeah I don't think I've seen a sectional crow bar. Doesn't that look like a foot step, something to help plant it?

I thought that too but it sure is close to the tip.How far can you force it into the ground and it stand on its own?

Tony lee

Have you considered Afghan example?
herat-afghanistan-boy-soviet-self-propelled-gun-D54FNA.jpg

As for the item, it seems they are crow bars to help open the hatches. They do appear in period photos with that protrusion that looks like a step. The extra length is probably for leverage. As for colors, the tool kit on the Poznan Museum example (in the Kagero Topshots book) should be original.

Regards,

Yep, that explains the point and the side shank. Thanks, Saul!

Tony and James, thank you for the photos, I had not seen those. I will make good use of them.

Thank you to all for checking, will try to finish on time.

:drinks

Sorry Mike, I guess I just looked at pictures and didnt read :blush: . Fixed my mistake. Still looks good. (y) (y) (y)
James

Mike, pretty good looking samohodka :) I'm curious how welds will look after the paint job. I believe you can finish in time! :drinks

Thank you, my friends! Got to work early this morning despite feeling horrible with this cold I have come down with. :sick:
I wanted to get some primer down, here's what that looks like.

IMG_8769.JPG

IMG_8770.JPG

IMG_8771.JPG

The Archer welds may be a little too precise, but we're going with them.

The tracks are mostly individual links, each with two attachment points that require attention. I cut off 34 links and set to work.

IMG_8765.JPG

The track attachment points are kind of small so take care to align them squarely to each other.

IMG_8766.JPG

Once the tracks are dry fit, I used some Testor's Liquid Cement to glue them up. I waited 10 minutes, then removed the run from the tape and formed them over the kit supplied jig. You have to be careful that the glue is set enough so it doesn't adhere to the jig. :eek:hmy: That would be bad juju. :cheer:

IMG_8768.JPG

I let it sit for a few minutes, then checked to make sure it would release. The second run went off without a hitch.

IMG_8772.JPG

While waiting on the tracks and primer to dry, I moved to the sprockets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZR9SA5pOg

No, no, no! Not THAT Sprockets, these...

IMG_8773.JPG

I used AK 086 Dark Steel pigment and a cotton swab to add the polished steel highlights. These pigments are really magic powder, they impart a realistic worn metal look with very little effort.

IMG_8774.JPG

The one on the right has not been treated.

Return rollers.

IMG_8775.JPG

IMG_8776.JPG

That's where we are at lunch break, more to come. Thanks for coming by.

Thanks a million, guys! There was progress this afternoon, but not as much as I'd hoped. I did get the base colors down, will add another coat once the tracks and fenders are on.

IMG_8778.JPG

IMG_8779.JPG

IMG_8777.JPG

Tracks are in four segments that I will join after paint and weathering. Much more to come, I managed to grovel my way into an extension. :laugh: Thanks for coming by.

Thirteen months and you need an extension?

Show Me the Money

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

Looks that way. Guess a bailout worked for the banks, I'll have it done quicker than they paid it back. :laugh:

Back