• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

DETAIL YOUR JUMBO

MrT

Master at Arms
Staff member
Continuing on with the Jumbo project I noticed after painting that I needed to add some details. The Tamiya kit is lacking in several details that if you can add will greatly add to the finished model. So with that in mind I will be adding weld beads, straps, hinges, brackets, and etc. The stuff I will be doing will fairly easy and cheap to do.

The mantlet on the jumbo is missing a weld bead so this is where we shall begin. The first thing I made groove with my saw to place my weld bead material. In this case I used solder wire.

DSC00285.JPG

Next I used super glue to attach the wire into the groove and then trimmed the excess wire.

DSC00286.JPG

DSC00287.JPG

DSC00288.JPG

To add the weld texture I used a sculpting tool to make small shallow impressions in the wire.

DSC00289.JPG

After going around the wire this is the result. A very easy thing to do that adds missing detail.

DSC00290.JPG

DSC00291.JPG

DSC00292.JPG

I will going across the model adding similar detail so stay tuned for further additions.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Terry B)

Where are you getting the solder?

What timing I'm thinking about redoing my Tamiya Jumbo! I like how you left the mold lines on the lifting eyes, I removed mine and should not of.

Where are you getting the solder?

What timing I'm thinking about redoing my Tamiya Jumbo! I like how you left the mold lines on the lifting eyes, I removed mine and should not of.

got the solder at radio shack. A roll of it will last a long time. You could also use stretched sprue. Put on a little liquid cement to soften and add the texture.

Back