• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya P-38

Wait, I missed something. Where did the film with rivets come from?
I did something similar with a 109 a couple of years ago. Can't remember who made it.
Since Paul's plans were already scaled to size, I imported them into Photoshop so I could work with section individually.

After that, I would open the sections in the Cameo software and trace all the rivet lines.

I then cut the design onto vinyl I use to make my mask. Transfer to the proper section and trace the cut lines for the rivet pattern.

Here is a quick video showing what I am doing. Basically every red line will be cut by the cutter and that will be my rivet line.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ah, this is it.
HGW Models. It was an interesting build, not sure I ever actually finished it. But if you can do it yourself why buy?

Lol, got the main wing done and Bob, next time I'm buying. This is a lot of work and I doubt I will do it again
IMG_20210705_183749.jpg
IMG_20210705_183606.jpg
IMG_20210705_183544.jpg
IMG_20210705_183539.jpg

Just because you buy them don't make it easier.
Found the build I used these on. Also has the PE canopy for the Bf109 that I always wanted to do.
I lost the rivets in some places mostly because my heavy handed painting.

I've done all the riveting that i am going to do and have the base NMF on. Plan on doing a little chipping here and there.

I plan on doing Thoughts of Midnite and have some Xtradecal from Hannants. I thought about getting the one you have Paul from cutting edge.

Really wish I could make one from the P-38 with same nose art from an airshow I took a few years back.
IMG_20210713_211113.jpg
IMG_20210713_211123.jpg
IMG_20210714_213219~2.jpg
Thoughts of Midnite.jpg

Great, interesting for me because i haven't seen this riveting done before on a model. Thats what's great about this forum, always some thing new to try and to learn :)
Slightly off topic but years ago my brother and i used to meet up every now and then to catch up on models. He was always much better than me. So anyway he comes round and i show him my latest creation, a P38 done as "white Lightning" and very pleased i was with it as well, even made my own decals with a white lightning logo on the nose.... Great till he pointed out i had spelt white wrong o_O
I live near an island over here called the Isle of wight........so you can guess the rest :)

Does it look to you like Mr. Tamiya left the F-model kit open to making a night fighter M-model P-38?
What a nice airplane model! It sucks they don't include the "Japanese Sandman" nose art in the kit.
I hope for this same kit in 1/72!

Does it look to you like Mr. Tamiya left the F-model kit open to making a night fighter M-model P-38?
What a nice airplane model! It sucks they don't include the "Japanese Sandman" nose art in the kit.
I hope for this same kit in 1/72!
I'm not too knowledgeable on the different variety of the P-38, I just hope they do the late model so we can do all natural metal finish.

In the not so recent past, Tamiya has done some reboxing of Italeri kits. The new Italeri 1/48 P-38J/L is actually a rebox of Academy's 1/48 Lightning with new Cartograph decals. We must take care not to pay modern day prices for airplane models we already have in stock, don't you agree?!
I still have 2 good ol' Monogram 1/48 P-38 J/L/M Lightning kits in stock. You cannot easily make the more streamlined and slightly speedier F-model from the vintage Monogram kit.
There's my 2 cents.

I have never built the Academy kit and I know its cheaper, but this thing just fits like a glove. The engineering on it is will though out. I do wish they were a little cheaper so I can add more to to the stash as this is my only one.

I got history with those Academy Lightnings. Actually got one pretty close to finished just need decals and stuff.

Love that dirty preshade mess y do! :notworthy

Back