• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sea Patrol Continues - 1/48 S-3B Viking (VS-32)

helios

I shouldn't be starting this one...but I've been itching to have a go for quite some time. With the F-4 approaching the paint stage, I'll be looking for something in the construction spectrum to mess with in between paint and decal sessions. And lord knows the decals are going to take a while...because F-4.

There will be a fair bit of hacking involved on this one, along w/ being hands down my biggest resin conversion. Wing & tail folds are by Wolfpack. New resin/PE engines are from Metallic Details. The Black Box resin cockpit was graciously donated to the cause by a club member (who used to work as a systems tech on S-3s). I also have a pair of Eduard AGM-84D Harpoons for it that did not make the picture.

I wanted to do a bit of a dry fit to make sure I wasn't going to have any major hurdles to try to get over, as there are a few builds I want to get to (some new, some existing) at some point this year. For the most part things seem to fit up ok. A bit of sanding on the front of the pit should allow the nose to close up easily. Even the wings fit up fair at the wing roots. There will be some small gaps to deal with, but I shouldn't have to deal w/ any big steps...which is good, as I've a second wingfold for the either the ES-3A or US-3A. The biggest fit issue I noticed on the initial dry fit is the join between the engine pylon and wing look like it will take a bit to address. I've got a couple things I want to look at before I get too carried away w/ the cutters, sanding sticks and plastic stock.

As a side note...the paint work on the F-4 tanks was and excellent experiment for this project...as this airframe is overall Light Ghost Grey w/ 35237 blue/grey around the canopy.

Which scheme are you going for?
S-3B159390VS-30.jpg
S-3 bonesaw.jpg

Regards,

The more I look at it, the more it bugs me. The end result came out a bit darker than I wanted, I'll probably look at doing a thin lighter overcoat this weekend to try to lighten it up a bit. Probably a moot point w/ how visible it's going to be after the canopy tint...but I'll know.

Right? Them winders don't openin' much.
I stumbled upon a website that shows pictures of Desert Storm Hoovers.
After the story you told us during the Google meeting, have a look-see at S-3B, 195765. I see the crew chief had the interesting scoreboard painted on both side of the jet.

I did a little canopy tinting while I had some smoke thinned out for the RX-7 tail lights. Figured might as well kill 2 birds with one stone. I still need to do the front tint, which will have a bit of a metallic gold tinge to it.

I have 6 examples of this kit, in ESCI, ESCI/ERTL, and AMT/ERTL boxings, and the tint of the canopies is different in almost all of them, from clear as you have, to as so dark to be almost opaque.

I have 6 examples of this kit, in ESCI, ESCI/ERTL, and AMT/ERTL boxings, and the tint of the canopies is different in almost all of them, from clear as you have, to as so dark to be almost opaque.
Yeah, I've got one kit that has the super dark tint. No fly on that one. :bigrin:

Back