• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Ki-46 III Dinah

jeaton01

Started this one up recently and it is going together quickly. I keep wondering if I am missing something in comparison to the B-26K and Arrow.

A little of the Eduard PE set was used, just belts, the main instrument panel, and a couple or three switch panels. Gunze Mitsubishi Interior Green, and Propeller Color, other colors are Tamiya. XF-56 Metallic Grey for the engines. I filed flats on the main gear tires. About the only challenge so far is to hide a seam that runs down the middle of the main gear well parts, I sort of succeeded, better than the last time I had that kind of seam to clear up so at least there is progress. A lovely kit of a lovely airplane. I swear I will weather it.

0011ki46.jpg

0061ki46.jpg

0081ki46.jpg

0121ki46.jpg

0131ki46.jpg

This one was about as trouble free as they get. I used Floquil IJA Light Grey over a mottled pattern of Dark Sea Grey Model Master on the bottom, the upper side got a coat of Alclad ALC-101 followedby thin layers of Tamiya IJA Dark Green, XF-13. The intent was to have a faded and worn look. I chipped at the XF-13 once it was firm but not fully cured and this method worked well for me. I also went over the top with fine sandpaper in areas. I clear coated only the aft fuselage and tail and decaled those areas, the hinomarus on the wings are Tamiya Flat Red. The decals were the Invisiclear brand, and unlike last time I used that type they worked well. The others were too fragile. Who knows, maybe my technique was better this time. Eduard masks and they fit nicely almost everywhere. I used Tamiya Smoke to add some exhaust staining, it doesn't show too well but its there.
The Dinah is small for a twin engine airplane, I took some photos with an A6M2b with it. It is in the display case next to the Tamiya Betty and looks like it hasn't quite grown up yet.

0181ki46.jpg

0191ki46.jpg

0201ki46.jpg

0211ki46.jpg

0231ki46.jpg

0241ki46.jpg

0251ki46.jpg

0261ki46.jpg

0271ki46.jpg

0281ki46.jpg

0291ki46.jpg

Back