• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Famo Sd Ah 116 trailer and DML Panzer 3

Thank you for your kind words.

More progress to show
The front and back trailer units have now been screwed together to the trailer bed.

The jacks and shovels had the plastic fittings trimmed off and replaced with brass etch enhancements .
They look way better than the plastic offerings and it's onwards and upwards.
The jacks and shovels will be painted and detailed separately before being glued in place .

Fantastic (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
My oldest boy just got this for me for Christmas , but looking at you build I feel kind of intimidated. Watching with keen interest.
James

It's looking really good Mike!
I have one of these in the stash too (like many others here, and elsewhere), and I appreciate your showing us how it's done. (y)
Keep up the good show. Happy new year!

Cheers,

Bill

Guys, again , thanks for your kind words .

James and Bill ,
Don't let the size get too intimidating. Kits being released today are a challenge when you open the box and there seems to be a lot more than just building a model.
The Meng Bradley is a great example .

Build the Famo in sub sections and you slowly see the results. There is 4 models in there own right in the famo and trailer.
Sometimes it helps just building 1 section .Leaving it and then come back to it.
This model has been a 2 year something project and 2015 is the year we're going to have it done .yay :yipee :yipee :laugh:

Adam ,
very little pigments used on the model. Trying to portray used in France 1940 and for what I can see in the references there is not too much weathering. It's the best challenge as I see little is more .
Weathering items will cover the traditional ,AK ,MIG .AMMO washes and pigments and then there will be a twist with the old fashioned pastels come into play as well .Old school experience :cheer: :)

Here is some more progress on the load ramps and test fitting of the driver .Some more touch ups for the driver and I am waiting for the rank insignia and collar patch's to come in from Hobby easy .
May not see them once the roof is on but I know they are there :laugh:

I will be back with more .

Happy New Year everyone :drinks :drinks :drinks :)

Michael

Thanks Guys,

Back with the further work .
The plastic tie grabs on the side of the famo tray and personnel sides have been trimmed off for the brass pieces. Looking at the photo's there is some more sanding to do . :tomato :good:
The pipework for the air tanks have been included although I had a hell of a time trying to find some decent references on the internet.
The small things go a big way .
I've winged it a little and gone on a guesstimate. :idonno :laugh:
here we go .

Thanks for looking .
Michael

I've always said that if you have a hard time finding references so will the critics so git'er done (y)

Thanks Bob,

Here is some more work done on the driver.
All the decals applied and there is still a little more work to do before I drop the cab cover on .
May not see this little man all that well once the roof cover is on, at least we can say he fits the part :laugh: :)

Michael

Guys , Your words are very much appreciated ,thank you

Managed to pick up the plus models oil and fuel cans .I'll drop a few items in the rear cargo tray and in the rear of the trailer cab.

The trailer driver has been completed and ready to be glued in place .Still more weathering with some very minor work to do inside the cab but the driver has been checked over and is ready ,finally.

Managed to place a lead foil cover over the cable reel .From references in books and on the net it looked like it remained covered until they used it .

Now moved on to weathering the tyres .
Base coated the tyres with Mig Ammo tyre and rubber paint .Then applied the pigment into the recess with a fine brush and methylated spirits . matt humbrol black and panzer grey No67 was then used to highlight the detail on the tyre
1 down 9 to go :angry: :eek:hmy: :lol:

More to follow

Michael

Very nice build! These bigger complex kits do take a different outlook than the more basic kits. They require the "Long term" outlook and you are doing yours wonderfully!

(y) :notworthy

Back