• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Stripping Vallejo from resin

Adam Baker

Trying to work on my 120mm 82nd Airborne figure, and I've decided that I don't like the color I based the figure in. Trying to work on the 2nd color of the camo, and its just not working, so I want to strip the Vallejo off.

I know that Tamiya can be stripped w/ ammonia window cleaner, but I don't have any idea if this will work for Vallejo, and I don't know how the resin will react to it. The figure is primed w/ Floquil enamel Grey Primer.

I've used a gel version of PolyStrippa with no adverse reaction to resin and seems to remove most types of paint. It washes off with dish soap, water and an old toothbrush. I scraped the paint out of deep creases with toothpicks. It may take a couple applications to get everything.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks guys.

My hope is that Windex will work, so that it wont remove the primer that's on it, or kill the super glue holding the parts together.

Looks like the Windex w/ ammonia is the ticket. Went home for lunch today, and while there, filled a container w/ window cleaner and put the figure in it. After just 5 minutes the Vallejo was already kind of bubbling up, and w/ some scrubbing using a pipe cleaner (couldn't find my cleaning tooth brush) the paint was starting to come off. I'll get it cleaned up when I get home this evening, and maybe try getting some color back down on it tonight if time permits.

Well, the window cleaner w/ ammonia worked on removing the Vallejo paint, but its also removing the primer that I put down a long time ago, so it means that now the goal is to completely strip the model of all paint and start from scratch. I'd continue w/ the window cleaner, but at the rate its going, its going to take a month to strip all of the paint & primer off of it.

So tonight the figure will go into the purple power, and hopefully tomorrow evening I might be able to put primer back down on it.

Well, the window cleaner w/ ammonia worked on removing the Vallejo paint, but its also removing the primer that I put down a long time ago, so it means that now the goal is to completely strip the model of all paint and start from scratch. I'd continue w/ the window cleaner, but at the rate its going, its going to take a month to strip all of the paint & primer off of it.

So tonight the figure will go into the purple power, and hopefully tomorrow evening I might be able to put primer back down on it.

I had no idea this was going to be a problem .

I have never tried purple power but as of the last few months I have started using Simply Green on my bristle brushes . That seems to remove the last bits that other cleaners have left behind without harming the bristles.
Guess if you have some handy , you might try it .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back