• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Spirit of St Louis build thread

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
You all may recall I did my attempt at a review of the Aerotek Spirit of St. Louis 1:32 scale a while back.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/news-reviews-and-shows/148979-aerotech-1-32-spirit-of-st-louis

Well I've decided to crack this nut and git'er done.

Been messin' around with the parts so far and I think it's really going to be a relatively easy build.

I washed the parts this weekend and cleaned up the resin and white metal. Got the fuel tank and front frame work primed with Mr Surfacer but...the more I played with dry fitting the primer started chipping, I got out the Krylon primer. Yes it's Red Brown, no i'm not painting it Panzer Grey....

Some of the cockpit internals.

h221672f.jpg

Check out the wicker seat!?
h47d7ff7.jpg

Hey James, did you paint a wicker seat or post a technique somewhere?

:huh: Datsa first... a wicker chair!! B) somebuddy pass da :popcorn
Hey Bob, ya fergit da time stamp on this? :idonno :tomato

No sir Eddy, not on this build. Not doing this for a campaign.

That wicker seat is really nice, check out the well defined weaving of the canes. Thinking of giving it a dark wash and then dry brush some dark yellow and top it off with some transparent orange, whatchall think?

I would give it a base coat in the Armour Sand/Middlestone range, give it a wash with a darker tan/brown followed by a drybrush of lightened base colour.

Cheers,
Rich

No sir Eddy, not on this build. Not doing this for a campaign.

That wicker seat is really nice, check out the well defined weaving of the canes. Thinking of giving it a dark wash and then dry brush some dark yellow and top it off with some transparent orange, whatchall think?

Just funnin' wit ya Bob about the stamp :eek:hyeah Yeah, I was lookin' at that seat & that's real nice. Think RichB hit the nail on the head on how to do it up (y)

Nice Bob. Those wicker seats from Barracuda aren't available yet, but they sure look nice. You cant really see any of the interior can you??
James

James I'm going to leave the door open and with the overhead window I think it will be rather visible.

Not sure how inside I can get, not going to all Fightin' Joe on this thing :rotf

It's really nice kit. Everything is included except the life raft, thermos and bag lunch. I was worried about the fuel tank valves under the IP but as you can see in the photos they are included.

Not sure how inside I can get, not going to all Fightin' Joe on this thing :rotf

It's really nice kit. Everything is included except the life raft, thermos and bag lunch. I was worried about the fuel tank valves under the IP but as you can see in the photos they are included.

:rotf :rotf :smack

Back