• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Skinny_Mike's Hasegawa A-4M - WITHDRAWN

Skinny_Mike

Well folks, I have made my donation (at least I think I did :blush: - James can you check me on that), but I'm still not sure what I am going to build. I have it narrowed down to a couple of kits that have been calling to me lately. Truthfully was looking through the stash for something that I'm excited to build, that has a relatively small parts count, so I have a shot of completing it in the campaign timeframe.

Its either going to be the 1/48th scale Hasegawa A-4M, with a resin cockpit and a low vis markings

hsgs7233box-lg.jpg

Or the Wolfpack 1/48 scale T-38 Talon, pretty much straight from the box.

10001bt.jpg

I'm not going to start this until December 1st, I have to finish my JadgPanther for Tankers Tangle first :bat , so I have some time to decide. Anyone have a preference on seeing one or the other built?

Thanks for looking, see you soon.
Mike

Skinny_Mike's Build for Cancer

Looking forward to either one, but I know on my bench, OOB always wins in terms of time.

Skinny_Mike's Build for Cancer

I'm partial to the A-4 but either will be fun to watch.
:popcorn
James

Skinny_Mike's Hasegawa A-4M

Thanks guys! Looks like the Skyhawk is getting the love on this one.

See you soon

The people have spoken! And they want to see the Scooter, so who am I to deny them what they want to see! :tomato

Here are the start up photos:

Post1_1~1.jpg

Here is the relevant info:

Hasegawa 1/48 scale A-4M Skyhawk
Furball Lo Vis Devil Dog Scooters Decals
Eduard Brassin Wheels
Eduard Brassin Mk-82 Low Drags
Quickboost 20mm Cannon Barrels
Quickboost Refueling Probe
Aires A-4M Cockpit

And the time stamp

Post1_2~1.jpg

I’ve been pulling this kit out of the pile a lot in the last few months and would really like to get it built, so I am happy for the opportunity. Plus this is for a very good cause, one that has affected my household as well as everyone else, so there is some extra motivation for me. The cockpit has hit the bath today, so hope to be off to a bit of a slow start soon.

Thanks all for watching, see you soon!

Mike
:salute

Ooooh yes get her done

Got this exact same kit minus the extras begging me to build it

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'll try to get some paint on the cockpit this weekend.

Hi guys, as I said in the beginning this build was going to start the 1st of December no matter what was going on with my JadgPanther. Well, that’s sort of what happened. Due to some other distractions, I unfortunately didn’t get started until this weekend. But I did get to spend a big chunk of time at the bench so progress has been made.

So first thing on the agenda was trying to fit the Aires cockpit into the airframe. So here is a comparison shot of the Aires pit against the kit one.

Post2_1.jpg

The detail is much nicer. But the problem will come with the bottom. The floor of the kits cockpit is the roof of the nose gear bay. Plus there is a part of the gear bay that is raised into the half circle portion in the front of the tub. This is not going to go well. :hmmm

Post2_2.jpg

The sidewall detail is molded to the sides of the fuselage, as opposed to the separate pieces as in the Aires set. But again the detail is pretty nice.

Post2_3.jpg

And let the games begin!

I spent the better part of Saturday getting reacquainted with my Dremel tool and sanded everything down as best I could. In some cases actually a little too thin as I made some holes in one of the fuselage halves and sanded through the quilt pattern on the side panels, but this is going to need to be thinned out to get this pit to fit.

My plan is to fit the sidewalls to the fuselage, dry fit to make sure it all fits, and then paint it all up. That should help make it all look seamless.

After a full day at the bench, here is where I am.

Post2_4.jpg

Ugh – these are so frustrating! Why do I keep doing this to myself? :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

I did spend a little time working a few other sub-assemblies while I was working on getting the pit to fit together. Nothing big, just the intakes and the nose are now assembled.

Getting the front office together is really going to be the hardest part of this build. Once that is sorted, the rest will really just fall together.

Thanks for watching!

Talk to you all soon.
Mike

The curse of resin. It looks sooo good when it's done. But frequently the work to get there can be so painful.

Hang in there Mike.

Looks like a lot of work, but I'm sure it will look amazing when it's all painted up. Are you leaving the canopy open?

Back