• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Semovente El Alamein circa 1942 COMPLETE!

Semovente El Alamein circa 1942 Flat and Dirty!

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. :salute

The tracks look good!
Sending you get well :zen

Thank you, my friends! Moving forward after a few days of feeling pretty lousy, I have added some details to my Ariete. Expanding on a tutorial from the past, I made a couple radio head sets from scrap PE brass frets, punched some styrene discs and silver solder. The first set I bent the head strap first, not a real good idea, although I got it to work. Second go, I got smart and laid it all out flat and then bent the head strap. :eek:hyeah

h1190f53.JPG

I found a spare radio set leftover from another build and detail painted it, along with the headsets.

hffdcb3b.JPG

Next up, I made the antenna support Tamiya left out. Breaking out the old soldering iron and some brass strip.

h204bf17.JPG

I bent the brass strips and then clamped them back to back in the ol' helping hands.

h2dccb65.JPG

Making sure I got it soldered so the seam doesn't show, then hit it with the file to remove the excess silver solder.

he0ffcb8.JPG

Bracket attached, ready for primer.

h3915685.JPG

h318b926.JPG

Moving on to colorizing the headsets.

h83ec05e.JPG

I like details, especially things that make a build look lived in. Tamiya included a tanker helmet with the newer version of this kit that I did not use when I built my first one, so I dug it up and plan to install it somewhere on the model. These helmets were funky leather bowler hats with a leather "skirt" that protected the neck. No skirt included with the Tamiya piece, so here goes!

h262b253.jpg

h3b4e7da.JPG

I save stuff that might be useful for just such an occasion, this is lead foil from a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon.

he276d42.JPG

I took a piece of Tamiya tape, laid the helmet on the tape and made a template.

hc708caa.JPG

Then I moved the tape to the foil and cut out my shape. The helmet will be displayed right side up instead of upside down, as there is no liner and I don't want to gin one up.

h7024c38.JPG

Looks pretty good for a first attempt, I think.

Much more to come, thanks for checking in.

:drinks

I have contended for many years that modeling supplies can be found everywhere!! Bravo Young Mister, for improvising, adapting and overcoming! I considered the Semovente a mundane armor subject.
YOU have taken the "Mundane" and created "Exceptional"! You have my admiration, Suh!
Well Done!!
:ro:
:notworthy
(y)

Nice work Mike- hopefully you rewarded yourself for work well done with a bit of the Trace ;)

Hey , very cool . Lots of little side projects to bring out more interest (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys! I appreciate that very much. :good:

You emptied a bottle of bourbon for the lead foil and still model this neatly?
I'd have to sleep it off first!

Nice!

Regards,

Thanks my friends! That Mussolini had him some tailor, huh? :laugh: I spent the day wrapping up small details that you may never see again and I installed them without taking photos. :facepalm Here's where I am as the day ends.

h2695cf0.JPG

h3e54e8a.JPG

ha14094b.JPG

he760c94.JPG

h21f85d1.JPG

I'll have to set up some different light to get photos of the radio gear and the interior. :frantic
More to come as I mess with the final painting and start the weathering process. Thanks for coming by.

Thanks, Chris and James! I didn't get as much done as I wanted,but progress is progress. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Back