• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Semovente El Alamein circa 1942 COMPLETE!

Semovente El Alamein circa 1942 Flat and Dirty!

You do know that these aren't Tamiya's standard decals ;) That's what I will keep telling myself as they look too nice to be kit issue.. Special boxing kits get special decals and they look GREAT!

Regards,

These are from the first Semovente I built eight or so years ago,it was the Tamiya reissue that included link and length tracks as well. The decal sheet from this kit is yellowed and not useable,sure glad I saved first set. There are still a few left if you want them,Saul.

Meanwhile, back in Africa, the Semovente waits patiently. I've pecked away at a few details in between rasslin' the Jagdpanther into shape and wanted to post some photos.

I shot clear over the entire hull in preparation for the panel lines, rust streaks and chips.

h16707c0.JPG

hdabfad3.JPG

The panel lines are Mig's Dark Wash. I usually get carried away and have to clean up around the edges, but at least I know I hit what needed hitting. :laugh:

h5123573.JPG

h39f45a4.JPG

Sand bags mocked up to see what it looks like. :eek:hyeah

hf90de54.JPG

h339e32e.JPG

h09ee2f7.JPG

h9e2ee48.JPG

h7d6ee85.JPG

One of the cool things about the Mig wash is you can let it dry and still clean up tide pools and places you missed removing excess, I used AK Interactive's White Spirits since it had been a week since I applied the wash. If you try to remove the wash too soon, it wicks out of the lines. Humbrol thinner works well too. You can see when I cleaned it up more this morning in the later photos.

As anyone who knows me can tell you, I'm a sucker for tools. Last winter, I purchased a set of J's Work Chipping Tools. :ro:

h612afaf.JPG

The set consists of several sponges of different porosity, double sided tape, several wooden blocks to attach the sponges to and a handy dandy wooden handle.

hf5431d1.JPG

I assembled one to test it out.

hea05506.JPG

I had leftover schurzen from the JP, so I primed one to use as a test bed.

h8556256.JPG

Using your favorite mix of chipping color, dip the sponge in the paint, blot it on some paper or cardboard and get with it!

hb9b9274.JPG

h3adf496.JPG

hbe924e8.JPG

h75fad42.JPG

I worked around edges in places that would either had traffic on them or where they could be abraded. Next up, flat coat tomorrow. Thanks for coming by!

:drinks

Oh yeah, Happy Easter!

h6cb9d63.jpg

:rotf

Thanks, Bob! Truth is, that sponge is probably available in less expensive, greater quantities, but it works well. Had to try it! :ro:

That set came from MegaHobby. https://www.megahobby.com/products/chipping-effect-pen-set-js-work-models.html
The sponges can be reused if you blot the paint out of them and store them somewhere that will stay clean and not get misplaced on the bench. I figure to keep the new ones in their box and in the weathering tool drawer and the used ones in a ziplock bag in there too. :mpup

Really digging how the wash makes those tickets pop Mike- this one is turning out to be stellar!

Bloody hell dont these Italians ever was theyr tanks :woohoo:

That set came from MegaHobby. https://www.megahobby.com/products/chipping-effect-pen-set-js-work-models.html
The sponges can be reused if you blot the paint out of them and store them somewhere that will stay clean and not get misplaced on the bench. I figure to keep the new ones in their box and in the weathering tool drawer and the used ones in a ziplock bag in there too. :mpup

Mike , are they different from what Hobby Lobby carries ?

Cheers, Christian B)

As I said before, I'm sure there are other sources for sponges, this was convenient and I figured to try it. :ro:

Thanks to all, I really appreciate your support.

Truth? One could gin one up from scraps for a whole lot less expense. But there's that convenience factor...

Alright gang, we're getting down to the end. Yesterday, it was cold and rainy in the Carolinas, so I went to the bench. I tweaked a few places on the streaks and shot a very light layer of Testors Dullcote over the hull. After letting that dry about an hour, I started rubbing a graphite pencil on some of the areas that will be bare metal and installed the hatches. This kit came with molded headlights and there's just no way to make those look like anything realistic. SO, I used a round burr and my Dremel to remove the molded lens and installed a clear lens from MV Lenses. If you haven't tried these, they are AWESOME (and pretty cheap too).

he019e96.JPG

I attached them with a dab of 3M Quick Dry Adhesive and let them dry.

h7e782ac.JPG

Moving forward, I installed the sandbags.

h092750b.JPG

h4f714a3.JPG

h6116321.JPG

h64607e9.JPG

hcb2be04.JPG

h3c541e3.JPG

h4284717.JPG

I had to make an antenna because Tamiya did not include one, I made the base from two styrene discs and a piece of .020 brass wire. We're getting closer! Thanks for dropping by!

Back