• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 Sparviero, SMER 1/50 >DONE<

dewertus

I built "Sparrowhawk" from the remains of Smer kit - yes from the leftovers. I got them from the modeler, from whom I bought a different model. Originally model was made by his descendant within the technical lessons at school. SM.79 Smer in itself does'n show anything worthy of command, but miserably bonded, mishandle over the years and finally badly fragmented model looked truly pathetic.

Because I do not like unnecessary wasting I embraced these remnants for training - I wanted to practice painting of "Italian spaghetti."

The model lacked many parts (cockpit, "hump", side windows, struts, propeller) and the others were significantly damaged or even broken. I decided to assemble for training airbrush skills only the same body. During those operations (assembly) often accompanied me my little boy - from the beginning he burned sympathy to the Savoia-Marchetti plane and finally he asked me is the model is mine, and if not, if it can be for him. In this case, I could not to refuse him - thus Sparrowhawk like a phoenix risen from the ashes (actually from remains) - and this is the result:

Sparviero is in marks of 11 Squadriglia BT, 26 Gruppo BT, 9 Stormo BT, Viterbo Air Base, June 1940 (Fall of France). Decals come out from Smer model and from own stock, for painting i used Agama acrylic and varnish. This is my first time airbrush "italian wavy lines". I need to more practice - they are quite poor.

DSCF4092.JPG

DSCF4093.JPG

DSCF4094.JPG

DSCF4095.JPG

DSCF4108.JPG

DSCF4096.JPG

DSCF4097.JPG

DSCF4106.JPG

DSCF4107.JPG

DSCF4098.JPG

DSCF4099.JPG

Very nice Hubert . The SM.79 is definitely one of my very favorites .

I didn't even know this kit existed . Would it be an ex Heller ? It seems Smer bought a lot of molds from them .

At any rate it looks a lot more impressive than my old Airfix example .

Cheers, Christian B)

Would it be an ex Heller ? It seems Smer bought a lot of molds from them .

For all I know, Smer bought from Heller forms only to the models in 1/72 scale. Series 1/50 (now is sale as 1/48) looks at own work of Směr/Stavebnice - within this series they have MC.200, Re.2000, Fiat G.55, Swordfish, Walrus, Fiar CR.32, Piper L-4 and bi-planes from 20' and 30 of twentieth century.

The reason I ask, is because it looks like a much newer tooling kit than the old Heller bunch.
Did you scribe the panel lines or is that the way the kit comes ? Anyhow, she's a beauty (y)

Cheers, Christian

The reason I ask, is because it looks like a much newer tooling kit than the old Heller bunch.
Your "feeling" are proper - first time i saw this model in middle of 80', same like Re.2000, Swordfish and Walrus. They were shortly available in shop of Czechoslovak Culture Institute in Warsaw and probably they were last own made by Smer. I don't know how is with Piper L-4 and MiG-17 - they looks quite well and are cheap (8-12$).

Did you scribe the panel lines or is that the way the kit comes ?
Yes, I scribe the panel lines - originally they are raised.

Back