• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Savoia-Marchetti SM.82 "Marsupiale" in 1/72

Flyingbabydoc

Hello everyone

So here is my entry to the campaign: the Savoia-Marchetti SM.82 "Marsupiale" in 1/72 from Italeri, with additional Resin Features (Cockpit, gondola, etc) from Pavla.

The SM.82 was in many ways a revolutionary aircraft, one of the best cargo planes of the war, which also doubled as a Long range bomber. This design from 1938 was the first "double decker" in Military Service and remained in Service until 1960! The wing was made of Wood, and it is amazing to think that it could sustain the weight of the Alfa Romeo 126 RC.34 Engines and of the cargo. Additionally, it was the first Italian plane with the Handley Page wing Slats. Some of the longest bombing missions of the war (like the raid on Manama, Bahrein in 1940) were carried out by SM.82

I will be Assembling the SM.82 from the 32° Storm which led the attack to Gibraltar on 21.08.1940 flying from the Decimomannu air base in Sardinia. This aircraft ("K") was piloted by Major G.B. Lucchini and did not return from the Mission, yet sucessfully hit the port installations with 250Kg bombs.

h3321e25.JPG

h313f2f9.JPG

h4199db2.JPG

h35b6e93.JPG

h222944c.JPG

This is the Camouflage scheme (it will be a challenge but I am looking Forward to it):

hdfd5633.JPG

hd3512fd.JPG

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks everyone...

Not much Progress this week but the preliminary assembly is done. I simply hate working with Resin! Those damn pieces just would not stay glued. I have tried 3 different cyanoacrylate glues until I got one that eventually worked.

Here is the Cockpit. A lot of Detail for 1/72 it will be a challenge to paint:

had956f8.JPG

h62c1fe1.JPG

hf98d09c.JPG

The Details on both sides are a mix of resin, kit parts and some scratch-built Details:

h6117b5a.JPG

hdbb571d.JPG

The main decks (yes, it was a double decker - the precursor of the A380) were also a bit of a pain to assemble, specially since you have to get the bomb bay also assembled together:

h95d9bfc.JPG

h146e94e.JPG

This is the Resin Gondola and one of the side protections for the defense Breda-Safat machine guns. All Resin:

hef4f792.JPG

Some more landing gear and defensive turret Details. Quite straigtforward:

he64c7b3.JPG

Next week I should have a bit more time. Until then, I wish you all a wonderful Weekend! B) B)

Cheers

Alex

Hello dear friends

Many thanks for your comments and Support. I have been really pressed for time lately, so not much Progress. but still...

Mike, indeed the Italians loved trimotors. The reason for that is that the available engines (mostly Fiat with only 800Hp) were not enough to power a bimotor bomber (see the failure that the BR.20 was). Therefore, three engines. The only bomber with enough power was the Piaggio P.108, which had 4 engines, but only 24 were produced..

Here is the Cockpit after painting and weathering. The resin Details are so irregular that the whole Thing Looks blotched. Still, it is 1/72 so the things are really small:

h7e05706.JPG

h32b3047.JPG

h84c8bc9.JPG

Here are the sides of the fuselage with Details. I did some heavy weathering since These planes were constantly in use in the most different fronts and conditions:

Port:
h5a1a61b.JPG

h6469f7b.JPG

Starboard:

h5d46bef.JPG

ha4f3a33.JPG

Main decks and bomb bay:

h07c9bce.JPG

hc6013dc.JPG

h8ca1da5.JPG

Landing gear bay:

hffac42a.JPG

finally, some Details:

hd495715.JPG

Muito obrigado Luiz

Muita gentileza tua. Aparentemente os outros membros nao gostaram do meu trabalho, pois alem do teu nao tive comentarios. Bom, o que fazer? Nao se pode agradar a todos sempre...

Grande abraco

Alex

Hello Everyone

So here is the further Progress. I have finished the main assembly and decided to add a few People to the plane - it gives IMHO a good perspective of the size of the beast. Now it is on to rigging and then painting. I hope you like it. As always, comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

he9811e4.JPG

h65f7080.JPG

h59810f9.JPG

h99f964c.JPG

h0524d59.JPG

ha675733.JPG

Back