• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Savoia-Marchetti Sm.81 Pippistrello in 1/72

Flyingbabydoc

Hi friends,

I hope you are all well and safe.

I know I have been missing a lot in the forums. Sorry about that. The virus has been giving us a ride for our money, but hopefully I will be able to participate a bit more in the next few months. I am absolutely planning on joining the MMM 2021, it's a tradition.

In any case, I was able to work on this big bat, the SM.81 with the colors of the 43. Squadriglia (21° Gruppo)
IMG_5093.jpg
IMG_5094.jpg
IMG_5095.jpg
IMG_5096.jpg
IMG_5097.jpg
IMG_5098.jpg
of the legionary force during the Spanish Civil War. This is an Italeri 1/72 Pippistrello OOB, just for fun.

No pictures of the assembly, sorry. Only the finished bird. I hope you like it.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks a lot guys. It was fun to paint. Still a bit rough, but at least not as thick as before. These Italian airplanes from WWII are delightful to paint and even more to train all these crazy cammos.

Great choice of subject! Maybe we should consider a SCW campaign.
Rob, I absolutely support this idea. There are so many subjects for a SCW campaign, either nationalists or republicans, Condor Legion, Italian Expeditionary Force, Partisans... I am in!

Your camo skills truly shine on your Macaroni brethren's airplane models! The angular, ungainly qualities of some of their bombers are interesting. :vgood:

Your camo skills truly shine on your Macaroni brethren's airplane models! The angular, ungainly qualities of some of their bombers are interesting. :vgood:
You are absolutely right. That is what has always fascinated me in Italian WWII planes. Such unique designs. What a shame they did not work properly (undermotorized, undergunned, small payloads) but still my favorites. Thanks for looking.

Wow Alex! This is a tremendous improvement over all your other work. I would be scared to try that camouflage pattern. I commend you good sir!

:notworthynotworthy:notworthy

Wow Alex! This is a tremendous improvement over all your other work. I would be scared to try that camouflage pattern. I commend you good sir!

:notworthynotworthy:notworthy
You are WAY too kind. I appreciate the comment, it is better, but you just stay tuned - this was a warm uup round for what's coming up next!

Cool cammo, Alex.

A SCW campaign would be great... There were hundreds acft used in that conflict, but it has been taken down.

Nice one! That looks very similar to a pattern I did on one of my Italian bombers. The SM.79 is the only one I have never built; that and the Breda.

Looking forward to this.

Back