• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell: Westland Lynx Mk8 1/32 "FINISHED"

I made a couple of clips to hold the fire extinguisher out of old scrap PE, works quite well :)

DSC_1578.JPG
DSC_1580.JPG

I have ordered some more seat belts from Hannants. The first lot are late and looking at the ebay feed back for the original shop i used they have 30 red entries for items not received in the last month so i dont hold out much hope. Will have to open a dispute i suppose
GOD i hate ebay !!

Nice work on the scratchbuilding. Mad skills dude.

And yeah, that's why I don't shop E-bay if I can help it. I'd rather go straight to an online store.

Is it specifically for that model? I know they make a lot of PE for different kits and just because it is for a Westland doesn't mean it is for that kit. I know they do a build up with the PE mounted these days with the kit black and the PE unpainted.

Hi Paul
Yes its specifically for the Lynx Mk8 and i notice the PE sheet is now withdrawn from sale but its still in the Big Ed sets which is where mine was. Its dated 2019 so its recent. They obviously found the problem and pulled the separate sheets but left them in the B E sets.
thinking about it if you pose the model with the doors open , slid back, its not going to be an issue.

I have got the sides on and most of the top

DSC_1601.JPG

You can see the fit is a fit slack and by the time i got the engine covers on i had pushed myself to the limits of my skills.

DSC_1602.JPG

I have used a small amount of filler and will need a bit more.
The problem is what i think they call "over engineering"
the basic kit has a lot of parts on the top to allow for different engines on different versions etc. This means the top section is made up of 14 parts that all need to fit together. The locators on each part are a bit vague and its easy to get a part out of line. Do that by 10th of a mm on partt one and you are a whole 1mm out by part ten :)
the answer is dont add each part to the model as per instructions., build the engine covers section separate and then fit the whole lot to the model as per pic 1 and 2 above.

i never know how far to go before getting the paint out :) the further i go now the more masking i will need to do.
I am hoping to have the nose section panels open to reveil the radios but i yet to find a good picture to work from..
Likewise i hope to have the tail folded and i found a picture for that but not sure its within my scratch build capabilities.

imageproxy.jpg
xz719 20 (1).jpg

Fantastic bit of luck tonight.
I taped the tail boom and tail together and sat there for 15 mins wondering how i would go about detailing the join.
The more i looked at it the more i thought, " they have sort of done the job for me buy thinning out the wall thickness of the "tube"...

then looking at the instructions there are in fact bulk heads for the join in the kit. They dont give you the option to pose this folded but when they designed the kit they obviously though it could be an option even though they didnt go for it.

DSC_1603.JPG

If you compare these with the pictures below they have even got the hinges and cut outs the right shape.

imageproxy.jpg

Bottom line is even if i dont use the kit parts i now have templates :)

Odd that revell decided not to go with a folded option in the final release ?

Wow Paddy! I would be intimidated by that folded tail as well. Still, I think you can do it. You do such masterful work already. It is quite interesting that they included that option.

I think the reason Revell probably decided not to make the tail fold an option was....The hinges are not strong enough to support the tail so you would need to pin the tail to the boom in the open position which would have been unsightly in the closed position.

DSC_1606.JPG

you can see here that the whole lot would have hung on some very small hinges ( less than 1mm in this scale) however if i chose to go this route i could pin the tail to the boom and take all the stress off the hinge like this

DSC_1607.JPG

Back