• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell Tornado Gr.4

I dont want to hijack you build thread but it may interest others. this is a fighter version as Rich B says it has a longer nose.

View attachment 153847View attachment 153848

again with buckets out. Pretty sure i took these at RAF Colitishall in about 2006 , The F3 variant seen here was retired in 2011 and replaced by the Typhoon as the UK primary interceptor.

View attachment 153849

A pretty heavy load out on a GR4 , would make a good competition to identify what its carrying. this was probably at Coltishall as well at about the same time as above (Coltishall shut in 2006 as it was the Jaguar base and they were fazed out in 2007).
Hijack away! This is all very interesting!

I spent nearly all of yesterday working on the ordinance and a decal marathon. After sanding the seams on the bombs I decided to re-establish the raised ribs.
20221015_131619.jpg

Using .5mmx.25mm polystyrene i glued the rids (after scraping off the paint) and it seemed to work well. I taped off a straight line to get them just right. Next came prime and paint. Then, following a decal application marathon, I have a pile of bombs
20221016_120542.jpg

I also have the pkane as decalled as it is going to get. There were several panel edges made of tiny dashes that were literally impossible for me to apply. I "may" do them by hand.
20221016_120554.jpg

20221016_120624.jpg

I used Tamiya Smoke to initially dirty up the tail. The oil weathering will come next. That may take a minute...
More to come later.

Attachments

• 20221015_131420.jpg
    20221015_131420.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 9
Looking really good Greg, I'm with you on those thin line decals. Nightmare. Looks like some of those decals are pretty old ?

Looking really good Greg, I'm with you on those thin line decals. Nightmare. Looks like some of those decals are pretty old ?
You know, the decals may have been old. It took nearly two minutes each for the decal to release. IDK. I am NOT the best decal applier in the world. Impatience and lack of know-how lead to delamination.

I got about 3/4 of the weathering done. I have to to figure out what to put under this oil work so that I can wipe back to clean if I need to. I used Vallejo Gloss Acrylic Varnish, thinking that would work, but if I mess up the oil weathering it won't clean back to zero, it leaves a dirty haze; so if the weathering is too heavy, I may have to go back with oils and lighten the panels even further. Tell me what you think...
20221016_211546.jpg
20221016_213051.jpg
20221016_213419.jpg
20221016_213657.jpg

I feel like the lines are too dark so I will let this dry and see if dry brushing might help.
20221016_224046.jpg
20221016_224102.jpg

It looks better in person. The tail is going to get a lot darker where the brakes throw the soot back onto the tail (if I understand correctly how those flaps work that cover the jet exhaust to make the plane stop faster).

Very nice Greg, you made a fantastic job of this. shame the old RAF Tonka's are now retired after 40 years in front line service.. but i think the Germans and Italians still use them

Very nice Greg, you made a fantastic job of this. shame the old RAF Tonka's are now retired after 40 years in front line service.. but i think the Germans and Italians still use them
Thank you! I agree, what a great plane!

You might consider sealing up the gap in the stationary front windscreen. A Luftwaffe Vet tells me when their Tornados are parked with the canopy down, it doesn't lock, so ground crews use tape over the gaps of the hinged canopy to keep the weather (bugs, salamanders) out of the cockpit.

Ok, the lights are on, along with a few little "stickee-outy-thingy's" that I had also forgotten. That is a highly technical term that not many people know. I will try to set up a nicer photography station at our store where my good camera is.

You might consider sealing up the gap in the stationary front windscreen. A Luftwaffe Vet tells me when their Tornados are parked with the canopy down, it doesn't lock, so ground crews use tape over the gaps of the hinged canopy to keep the weather (bugs, salamanders) out of the cockpit.
Roger that. Is the gap you see between the stationary and moveable windscreen? Like, put tape on it to be accurate?

Roger that. Is the gap you see between the stationary and moveable windscreen? Like, put tape on it to be accurate?
bae-tornado-gr4-of-41-squadron-raf-2E9M937.jpg
The gap between the windscreen and the nose. The canopy should have a little panel line because it opens and isn't sealed to the unpowered jet. Salamanders in the 'front office"? Bloody Hell!
Option B: Open your canopy and show off your handiwork!
My 2-bits.

That's why I tagged ya buddy.
I can't see the facebook content but I'm sure others can. Besides, I know they are dirty also.

Back