• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MBT-70

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
Started this build this Saturday night. I bought this kit when Dragon online was having a big sale around Christmas. I've never had any interest in this tank as it never came into production. While doing research for the build I'm doing in "In another a World" I ran across War Thunder game play videos of people playing this tank. One stuck out as the MBT-70 was painted in the weird 3rd Infantry Division camouflage from the 1970's. That and the sale was enough to get me to pick this kit up. I will say this is a really nice kit. Goes together easily and the details are nice. So after a couple stressful weeks of work, swinging different hours, stress of getting Grace on a high skill level softball team, not finishing the "Micro Build." Plus being on call this weekend. I just had to unwind and go into vegetation mode.

I'm calling it a M70 I could use a hand on a Generals name to put with it. My thought was Custer because it was a failed program.

So this will be a what if build as the vehicle was fielded maybe Cold War turned warm?

IMG_1423.JPG

Took this picture in case I can come up with a good story then I'll drop it into the group build.
IMG_1554.JPG

In a couple hours had the suspension done. The details are very nice even included the hose lines. I left off the suspension arms as I'm not sure how I plan on displaying it. Dragon gives you the option showing the suspension dropped and raised

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

Turret is cast nicely. The casting texture really well done. The problem I have created for myself is the kit is the German version and the American version. Some the fittings and other details will need to be changed.

IMG_1568.JPG

Some of th sub assemblies. I started redoing the casting texture on the mantlet to give a little different look from kit texture. The 20mm cannon I almost changed to a M2 machine gun or another thought I had was use a mini gun.

IMG_1569.JPG

The upper hull before modifications, the American version had a different engine deck and hull fittings.

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

Fill the side grate with styrene strip and started to remove the German version fittings.

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

Some fun with power tools here. If I built faster I'd hit up Dremel for sponsorship :rotf

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

The upper hull with most the German fittings removed.

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

The turret with the German fittings removed rolled steel texture added and casting texture added in spots. I'm kinda liking the turret from the XM803 program, so I might add some of the different details of that turret design. I did add a shell case ejection port the right rear. The part came from a Dragon M26 kit. I have a lot of these as they pretty much come with Dragons Sherman kits.

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

As you can see I'm at the point of no more vegetation state. Had a lot of fun and I could feel the stress of life move on. Look forward with updates when I can.

:drinks

Still pretty awesome as the MBT-70 does lend itself well to the realm of "What if"
:v

:rotf

I think I got one of these too...I was going to blend it with a Leopard 1. I just might have to revisit that idea again.
:v

I built the ancient Aurora 1/48 MBT-70 as a much younger child! I did not realize there was a mainstream kit issued!
ROCK IT Sherman!
:ro: :good:

Oh Iron Mike you made my little brain spark. :frantic

Arrows :hmmm

How about a tank from "A" company named Acme, then get one of those Miniart buildings and paint a black tunnel entrance on the side

Liberation of the Ukraine 1976

Been working way too much this week Tuesday and I have 40 hours in :zen

We could do this for hours!

https://looneytunes.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_ACME_Products

:woohoo:

Back