• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell Tornado Gr.4

I like to mask both sides of the gap being filled to make sure the filler doesn't slobber all over. My gaps usually get filled with dots of super glue but my usual model is quite a bit smaller than your Tornado.
Looking good so far!:good:

I like to mask both sides of the gap being filled to make sure the filler doesn't slobber all over. My gaps usually get filled with dots of super glue but my usual model is quite a bit smaller than your Tornado.
Looking good so far!:good:
Good to know!! I will def do that next time, although this all sanded down easily enough. A lot has happened as far as progress. It is all very slow with lots of test fitting and adjusting. This is BY FAR the most complex model I have ever built, and there are definitely going to be some areas that show I may have been over my head a little. A LOT of seams just butt up to each other. How the f#@& do you hold a three inch section of seam together and straight at the same time?! Anyway, I will shiw some shotsbof where I am with it.
20221004_181641.jpg

20221004_181657.jpg

20221004_181711.jpg

20221004_225719.jpg

20221004_225740.jpg

20221004_225746.jpg

20221004_230547.jpg

I have a feeling that I will learning hiw to scribe a lot of new lines after all the sanding is done!

How the f#@& do you hold a three inch section of seam together and straight at the same time?!
Very slowly. Only work one inch at a time, or a half an inch. Lots of tape! Don't try to get the entire seam in one swoop.

A good heavy and sharp nail could work as a scribing tool if you're needing one.

Looking good Greg, it does look a complex build.

Good to know!! I will def do that next time, although this all sanded down easily enough. A lot has happened as far as progress. It is all very slow with lots of test fitting and adjusting. This is BY FAR the most complex model I have ever built, and there are definitely going to be some areas that show I may have been over my head a little. A LOT of seams just butt up to each other. How the f#@& do you hold a three inch section of seam together and straight at the same time?! Anyway, I will shiw some shotsbof where I am with it.
View attachment 153725

View attachment 153726

View attachment 153727

View attachment 153728

View attachment 153729
View attachment 153730

View attachment 153731

I have a feeling that I will learning how to scribe a lot of new lines after all the sanding is done!
Are you wet or dry sanding?

I've found Perfect Putty is handy for filling small gaps and clean up w/ an alcohol dipped cotton swab before it fully sets. I prefer the grey Tamiya putty if there is any blending involved though as it seems like the solids are more finely ground than the PP.

I've found Perfect Putty is handy for filling small gaps and clean up w/ an alcohol dipped cotton swab before it fully sets. I prefer the grey Tamiya putty if there is any blending involved though as it seems like the solids are more finely ground than the PP.
Brilliant! I only have the Squadron brand putty in my store. I will get Tamiya also.

Both. Mostly dry.
No wonder! Wet sanding helps flow off the removed material without clogging the abrasive you are using. I sometimes wash my sanding sticks with soap and warm water to rinse out the stuck stuff. Wet sanding allow you to take a smaller "bite" while you remove and smooth. DO NOT RUSH the sanding. It can be very therapeutic to sand-wipe-look-cuss-mix a drink, repeat. :Drinks: If you repeat "the process" enough times and find your eyes don't focus and you just giggle a lot, take a break!
Now! I don't want you to think I underestimate your model skillset. I do not wish to sound overly simplistic. I am NOT an expert. I have made almost every model-mistake there is to make. These tips and tricks work for me. You can choose your favorites for your very own model making.

No wonder! Wet sanding helps flow off the removed material without clogging the abrasive you are using. I sometimes wash my sanding sticks with soap and warm water to rinse out the stuck stuff. Wet sanding allow you to take a smaller "bite" while you remove and smooth. DO NOT RUSH the sanding. It can be very therapeutic to sand-wipe-look-cuss-mix a drink, repeat. :Drinks: If you repeat "the process" enough times and find your eyes don't focus and you just giggle a lot, take a break!
Now! I don't want you to think I underestimate your model skillset. I do not wish to sound overly simplistic. I am NOT an expert. I have made almost every model-mistake there is to make. These tips and tricks work for me. You can choose your favorites for your very own model making.
I guess I was concerned that if I got too much water in the cockpit that the work I did there would be messed up, so I just dipped my sanding stick in water to get it wet. There was a lot of dry sanding also with the flexi-file over the rounded parts. Don't worry about underestimating my skill set LOL. What I DO know wouldn't fill a thimble half full. Thank you for the info! I honestly appreciate it very much!!

I really want to find this kit and do it again but it I have scoured the net and can't find it. If any of you have it, I would like to buy or trade for it. I have done SO many things wrong that I am certain the second one will be better. I am going to continue on this one of course, and I have learned a lot.
Lesson 1: Revell instructions SUCK RHINO D&@k. Would a little verbage kill ya?
Lesson 2: Look VERY closely at how the part is connected to the sprue. I have cut off numerous things that were meant to be part of the ...part.
Lesson 3: Sanding sticks don"t hold up well when wet sanding even though they say "for wet or dry"
Lesson 4: Revell instructions SUCK!
Lesson 5: do not, under any circumstances, pre prime the parts while in the sprue.

Y'all, I have learned so much working on this model. Some things I am still confused about; mostly sequence/order issues. Do I paint "this" now? Or wait til the end? I still don't have the hang of putting parts together then putting Tamiya glue along the seam. It seems like it doesn't get in there because the parts come apart very easily later. I have been using Testors glue where I can. And you know, I see videos all the time about "spray the part on the sprue" then put it all together. I have never scraped so much paint off to get a good glue seal in my life. My wife says it sounds like we have a mouse when I am squeaking the Xacto over the paint to scrape it off.

This may help. It's a glue that has a blue tint to it. I have it and tou can see where the glue is.

It's by Ammo. I get it at sprue Brothers.
night-blue-cement.jpg

They also have it in red.

Are you still having fun though? I spent 3 hours yesterday with @iambrb and @errains at the shop just OD on the instrument cluster of the dozer together. And I didn't finish!

I think there's only a few kits I didn't end up buying two of them to get one completed.

I'll keep my eyes open for one. Were you looking specifically for another Gr.4? Or any variant?

Scale Hobbyist has an ASSTA variant (believe it's the most modern update). It's a bit more than the IDS kits that I picked up a while back, but not overly priced if you were itching to grab one now. https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...b=stocknumber_a&so=d&kw=tornado&sc=48&man=RMG
I was thinking this same kit, but there is a "skill level 5" Farewell version that might work. The one you picked is also SL5 but the Farewell one is $50 including shipping so I may go with that one if no one has one to trade.

Back