• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell FW-190- A8 "Sturmbock" 1/32

paddy

_DSC9342.JPG

This Revell's latest "190" offering much like its previous A8 this has the additions that make it Sturmbock
I asm no expert on German flying machines but i think this is a variant aimed at bomber destruction with the later twin 13mm (from 7mm) guns in the fuselage and 30mm Cannons in the wings (from 20mm) along with thicker seat armour in case someone fires back :)

I also bought the Eduard engine.

_DSC9343.JPG

why you ask ? the kit engine is really rather good and its totally invisible with the covers buttoned down.

Well 1/32 is an unusual scale for me, i usually use Eduard 1/48 and i wanted to give their larger parts a try. The design of the parts looks much better i/32

The main problem with resin parts in 1/48 is they are often thin and fragile, even removing them from their poring block can be tricky and thats if the parts are not already broken in the box. Things like engine bearers, guns and pushrod tubes can often be bent. The clever will know that "strength" increases disproportionally with dia so a real life 20mm pushrod tube in 48 scale is 0.4mm and in 32 scale is 0.6mm. so thats 30% bigger
But..the area of .04mm is .12mm /2 and the area of .06mm is .28mm/2..so over 50% stronger.
Anyway i thought it would be interesting to give one of these upgrades a go.

Another problem with these radial engines is positioning the cylinders front/back and exactly square to the base, a little out at the base is quite a way out at the top and then a world of pain opens because your exhaust and inlet stubs dont line up with the ports etc.....but wait !!! Eduard have included a jig to position the barrels/.heads correctly and protrusions on the crankcase to align said barrels on the front to back plain :)

Detail is also good on this larger scale, note below what would be a solid barrel on 1/48 is hollow in 1/32 which will make removing from the blocks and keeping the base square much easier.

DSC_0459.JPG

DSC_0460.JPG

had to get the decent camera out for those shots :)

Thinking ahead i may build up both engines and mount the second one on a "pallet" to sit along side the aircraft, maybe replicate an engine change ?

_DSC9344.JPG

Kit guns aren't up to much and they are very prominent so will prob replace

_DSC9345.JPG

Being a German made model they dont include swastikas so i thought i woujld try masks for the first time.

_DSC9346.JPG

This is an odd sheet of PE called hatches and latches, you never know, might come in useful, bizarly...no instructions ?

_DSC9347.JPG

I initially bought the 3d panels but they look a bit soft so have the Eduard as back up

also on order/ flaps/cockpit behind the seat PE and fabric flap and rubber detail decals.

Looks like the PE is for you guys who take it the next level and open panels. You'd have more scale thickness of the open panels and the area (Flanges?) they attach to.

This is a PE set from AIMS. 32PE015 (should be two frets) is for the Revell kit. It would be on the other side of the sheet than shown in the photo.

Yes sorry i was being a bit facetious in that the instructions supplied are a few diagrams that actually offer no instruction whatsoever. You could be forgiven for thinking this PE should be stuck over the engraved detail on the plastic. For example one of the panels is shown as "cockpit hatch" but there is no pointer to where the cockpit hatch is or goes :) I have searched google for FW-190 cockpit hatch and examined the kit parts but no luck so far. I'm sure i will work it out :cool:

@paddy, I have an overload of reference on this as I used to review books for this very popular aircraft. I can provide too much information. So, be afraid to ask! Be VERY afraid!
:yipee: :shark:

Seriously, I recognized all of the hatches and where they go. Impressed that they did the wooden inserts and hatches too. I believe I bought the 48th scale set and that is why your photo seemed familiar.

A lot of these Revell builds on Google have wing root cannons ? my version doesnt. I wonder where they got them ?

I cut the barrels off the blocks and was pretty pleased however when i put them on their PE jigs the front row was pretty much spot on but the back row was way off.

Here you can see the ridge on the heads fits the jig pretty well for a first fitting
_DSC9359.JPG

This is the rear set and its quite a way off so i had to carefully sand down the base of each barrel and continually test fit to get them to fit/line up

_DSC9362.JPG

Now my point here is without the jig i would never have spotted this discretion and i would have had problems later on without doubt , especially lining up manifolds, in/out. This shows the advantage of the jig which you dont get in 1/48 scale.

Back