• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell A-10 Warthog

Beautiful work Greg! She looks great in black!

Saul, thanks for those TMI pics, I love when you saturate us with that kind of info. I was wondering about that A-10 that bellied in...
If that is the one I am thinking about, the pilot was on a training mission, did a pass and heard a loud bang. The plane immediately started acting up, but he was able to still fly and control it. Managed to make a wheels up landing, which looks like it wasn't all that big a deal. Don't know of any other plane that could land like that and be put back in the air in short order.

I'm liking the gear work, excellent! That 30mm had it's rings dinked. Weapons shop is gonna love this rebuild.

So, while the Mustang is drying I thought I would work on Ray's A-10. Evidently, Tamiya doesn't make all of the military colors. I needed Lt Green FS34102, Dk Gray FS36081, and Dk Green FS34092 to complete the camo pattern. I found a pretty cool place that gives Tamiya formulas for military colors they don't make. I am sure you guys know it already but here it is: https://replikator.club/2021/02/06/tamiya-paint-database-us-federal-standard-colours/
For FS34102 I mixed 3 parts XF-5, 3 parts XF3, and 1 part XF2.
For FS36081 I mixed 7 parts XF-63, and 3 parts XF-60, which made a really weird shade of gray.
For FS34092 I mixed 3 parts XF-26 and 1part XF-2.
Here she is in the hanger bay with two colors based in:
20230119_222711.jpg
We will see if I get to work on her tomorrow. Happily, the new parts for the airbrush have it behaving beautifully. I knew there would be extensive spraying so I gave Gail's sensitive nose a break by thinning with alcohol. Although, the activated carbon filters I put in the spray booth seemed to have done the trick collecting odors, I knew lots of overspray would not be filtered.

I got the third color on, but actually mixed it a bit darker than the formula said. Also, using this reference, I mottled the colors quite a lot.
20230120_215825.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230120_220238_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230120_220238_Gallery.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 20
Here's to the Future! I sealed everything with two coats of Future in prep for decals. I started weathering the A-10 and thought, "Why not decal first, then weather all at the same time?" So, I prepped both the P-51D and the A-10 at the same time. More on the P-51 in that thread.
20230122_090230.jpg
I really like the way the camo is looking, and I appreciate your kind comments! On to a decal decathlon!

This baby is lookin good, Greg, real good!

Great vid post, Chris. That gal is an incredible flier to bring the hog home, incredible!
Thank you @Steve! And I agree, that video was so good.
I have the figure finished using oil paint. and am putting her on her plinth. I will load her as soon as I take better photos. I am so glad you encouraged me to use oils for figures. It is SO much easier and better looking.

So, yesterday did not turn out like I expected. Rather than a decal decathlon I got all of the bombs, missiles, and whatnot ready for decals. I still have an issue sanding the seams, and always make a flat area on a round object. They look OK though. I stuck tooth picks up their butts and made a little holder for them out of an old box. I then painted and painted and painted in the airbrush booth.
20230122_174858.jpg
I was looking at my references and thought that the jammer under the port wing was supposed to have a glass front, so I cut off the front tip.
20230122_130140.jpg
I painted the plastic after sanding. I then cut a tiny circle out of a colored film with my dandy little circle cutter.
20230122_140533.jpg
I glued that to the front, then used my fly tying resin and made a bubble of "glass".
20230122_140504.jpg
It turned out that I was looking at the Maverick missiles. So, the jammer has a glass front. No biggie. So I did the same to the actual Mavericks.
20230122_210556.jpg
Anyway, the bombs and whatnot are all prepped and ready for decals and distressing.

Attachments

• 20230122_131609.jpg
    20230122_131609.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 12
I love your attitude. I would get hung up on those details and never finish. You are enjoying it all the way to the finish line!

Back