• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Revell 2003 Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo

Greg Kimsey

1000009286.jpg

I was today years old when I built my first NASCAR model. This was sort of chosen for me because I was looking at my store's racecar selection and I noticed this one was unwrapped. I opened it and discovered it had "sorta" been started. The sprue trees were gone and all of the parts were cleaned and in ziploc bags. What? How did I miss this, and for how long? I have no idea on either count, but knew I couldn't (or didn't want to) sell it in that condition. I have never built a race car, so...I decided to build it. There was very little cleanup to do so I started gluing. I built the motor first, as that is fairly standard.
1000009255.jpg

I tried to build as cleanly as I could, and for the most part I did OK. The only appropriate size wire I had for the sparkplug wires was black. I would have rather had yellow or red, ..or blue...or green, but I didnt. I just this minute realized that I did not add the coil wire, but it can't be seen and it is far too late now. After the engine I made and painted the driver. The clothing decals were a definite no go, so I hand painted the flames on the suit, cutting out the words decals and used them as well as they would do.
1000009254.jpg
1000009256.jpg

Oddly enough, there are very few parts to a NASCAR model so I got everything ready for paint and did it all at once. The roll cage went together relatively well.
1000009257.jpg
1000009266.jpg
1000009267.jpg

I did a tiny bit of weathering, knowing that pre-race NASCAR cars are spit clean, but that just looks weird.
1000009288.jpg
1000009287.jpg

I am using Model Master Blue Pearl enamel for the body, and four coats later it is looking fabuloso!
1000009285.jpg

I will let that dry then do 2 coats of AK intermediate Gauzy shine enhancer. Then the decals. Wish me luck on that. The decals can make or break a racecar. If successful I will do four more coats of Gauzy to even out the decal edges, then polish 'er up. This has been one of the easiest builds I have ever done...so far. I am actually looking forward to putting the dacals on!

Earnhardt was def top 2 all time with Petty. I was a Buddy Baker fan back in the day. The old Gray Ghost. These days, you say Buddy Baker and people go "Who?!" Awesome Bill (Elliott) from Dawsonville was a local boy for me so I was in his corner too. Gordon is a bit of a cry baby, but love him or hate him, he could race. (I am basically Sweden when it comes to Jeff).Thanks for the compliment on the suit. It was fun!
I'm more of an Earnhardt fan but this is cool. Amazing paint job on the suit!

Neat stuff Greg!

Obscure Fact: half my family is from Mootseville NC. What’s more, my uncle owned the NAPA store, and pulled race cars. As a young chile I played with the Bodines & my brother was pals with Alan Kulwicki

It is far from perfect! The decals on the front were an EPIC fail. Wrinkled and tore all to hell. The rear decal wrinkled "some" but I left it. I masked off and painted the flames on the hood with Really Red and Trainer Yellow enamel. I added more yellow at the tips of the flames with a brush. The rest of the decals provided with the kit went well, and the word decals on the front are from another Jeff Gordon 2000 kit of which I have 6, so one was sacrificed. I used a sable brush and painted 8 coats of AK Gauzy Shine Enhancer by hand. It is self leveling and seemed to work well. It is so shiny I decided not to buff.
1000009354.jpg
1000009355.jpg
1000009356.jpg
1000009357.jpg
1000009358.jpg
1000009359.jpg

Back