• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Pine tree SBS

Bagge

I just want to share a way to make some pine trees.
After watching several videos on youtube i come up with this:

first the tool, a piece of wood 8cm by 30cm and i drilled holes in the center for a nail that will hold the metalwire and a clamp at the end to secure the wire when laying out the "branches"

P1090600.JPG

I will let the pictures do the talking because it's not that difficult, you need some steelwire, some rope, sisal or garden rope (one plus is that the garden rope is green already!).

P1090589.JPG

P1090590.JPG

Cut the rope in different lengths, short in the top and wider against the root of the tree.

P1090591.JPG

Then untwist the rope so you get the fibers free from eachother

P1090593.JPG

And then lay them out ontop of the wire that you bend around the top nail and hold with the clamp (just one part of the wire for now, the other half goes ontop of the "branches")

P1090600.JPG

P1090592.JPG

P1090594.JPG

P1090602.JPG

Next step is to twist the wire, start by twisting the end outside the clamp by hand (or with a pair of pliers) then mount that end in the a electric screwdriver or drill (manual drill works fine to)

P1090601.JPG

You should end up with something like this :S

P1090595.JPG

Now take a steelbrush and brush the tree from root to top and then from top to root until you have something like this:

P1090597.JPG

P1090598.JPG

I now painted the tree with Tamiya spraypaint TS2

P1090607.JPG

P1090599.JPG

After that have dried i went over with a lighter green and then a little mist of the darker again (not sure how much of that's showing in the end, But here you can choose what you feel comfortable with)

Next a coat of hairspray (daughter not happy because i used up her spray....) :coolio
and then sifted some static grass over the tree (here it's alot of experiments to be done to get it right, i'm still trying different ways to do this)

P1090605.JPG

And then some paint over (not neccesary if you use green grass)

P1090606.JPG

I went over again with some coloured sawdust and i think i start to be happy about it (seen worse on shows :stinker )
More to come tomorrow! :Hiay

thanks for the nice comments, it's still a work in progress to find the best way of adding the static grass/sawdust but it's gonna come.
If you try it, post up a pic of your trees here then we can learn from eachothers tries :)
//Mats

Back