• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Phil's Build

Taor

My first attempt at a group build will be a small dio inspired by this photograph.
I will be using Dragon Kit 6264 (Panzer IV Ausf E), Tristar Kit 35009 (German Tropical Panzer Crew), Tristar Kit 033 (SF 14z Periscope Set) & I shall be scratch building the soft skin cover.
Let's hope I can do the photo justice.

pz3final.jpg

This is just a pic of minor progress so far. I put together a jig so that I could get the frame of the soft skin cover all straight. The wooden slats for the sides will be next & I must practice making the tarp that goes over the top. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I am thinking that tissue and watered down white glue might be the way to go. The other option was thinned Milliput. Also in the pic are a few jerry cans & fuel drums.

WIP1.jpg

Noel-Petroni said:
It looks like it settled nicely. But in some areas it looks stiff.

Some more experimentation, maybe?

Regards
Noel
Noel, I think with some effort spent wetting down the paper with a soft brush would fix the sharp edge problem.

Just a few barrels... Can't go any where in the scorching desert with out them ! :)

Barrels1.jpg

Barrels2.jpg

Just a couple of progress shots. Oh that running gear ! A joyous way to spend a rainy weekend ! The SBS suggested by Laura has been an invaluable help with this build so far.
IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Ant... The cig foil idea sounds interesting. I will have to find a smoker to donate some so I can give it a try.

Cheyenne wrote:
Phil , nice work on the lorry mock up tarp .

How are you liking the Pz IV so far ?

Glenn

Glen the kit is superb in my opinion. It is just time consuming cleaning and constructing the running gear. I think I may need to have my big boofy fingers surgically replaced with dainty girly ones to make it easier to put together all the tiny pieces. :huh:

Phil

From the pictures it sure looks like a detailed kit. It's such a pleasure building these kits with hardly any after market needs.

How is the project going?

Regards
Noel

Progress on this build stalled about two weeks ago :unsure: I got on a roll with my Panzersphawagen and my time has been spent on that. But that is what I like about this site, just a comment or question from someone is like a size 13 army boot to the butt... ( Not suggesting that either Noel or Laura wear size 13 Army Boots !! :eek:hmy: ) It is a reminder that you have other builds that need some attention... And with that, I must extract my digit from a certain bodily orifice and get stuck into my desert build.

As for the tarp. I tried using the tissue paper that comes in shoe boxes. With a coating of white glue it worked a treat.

Phil

Noel Petroni wrote:
Well, my Lumberjack boots are solid....but not size 13!

Will you manage to post your results of the tarp?

Regards
Noel

Will do Noel. It hasn't been painted, just formed over the frame. Will post pics soon.

Regards,

Phil

Laura,
:pinch: Steel Tips !!! OUCH !

As long as they are not what I know as 'winkle pickers'. (Boots that end in a rather nasty sharp point... But they are good for getting critters that hide in the corner !)

Taor wrote:
I must practice making the tarp that goes over the top. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I am thinking that tissue and watered down white glue might be the way to go.

give parchment paper a try!

cut the parchment paper to the desired size, soak it with windscreen or window cleaner then fold it in place over your jig!

when dry it should keep it's new shape!

quick, easy and effective!

Phil,
Looks good from here...
I've used the tissue paper/white glue and like the texture and feel it gives
you, Parchment paper would be kool too (I may have to give that a try thanks Laura).
Really like the way the fuel cans came out too.
Shawn

For those that have asked here are a few pics of my most recent attempt at creating a tarp for a soft skin vehicle. The painting & weathering was done real quick just to get an idea. For me this is by far the most realistic result.

It was done by using the tissue like paper that comes with your shoes when you get them in the box, it seems a bit more durable than standard tissue paper. It was cut to shape and then painted with a white glue/water mix then left to dry.

The paper seemed to tighten as it dried which added to the effect of the material. I just gave it a quick coat of olive drab, a dark oil paint wash then a wash of light pigments and finally a dusting of dry pigments.

I am going to experiment with tinting the white glue/water mix to see if that gives a better result.

img_0039_1_20091217_1061578778.jpg

img_0040_2_20091217_2050948144.jpg

img_0046_3_20091217_2017221142.jpg

img_0047_4_20091217_1727097545.jpg

Laura... I did try your idea of parchment paper, but for me it seemed to turn a bit 'stiff looking'.

It's funny how life seems to throw things at us that take us away from the things we enjoy. I haven't touched anything plastic or glue like for quite some time. It is my hope that I can get back to building soon. A question if anybody reads this... When does this g/b finish.
Regards,
Phil

Back