• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Panzerkampfwagen I ausf F

Heavens Eagle

As I told James when he jumped on the new panzer III J, I have a number of interesting kits to do for this. Here is the one I chose. A panzer 1 that was designed and ended up being used at the battle of Kursk. There were 30 built and from what I can tell 3 still exist. One is at Kublinka and the other 2 are in Holland I believe.

Here are the start photos. I still miss the time and date that used to be at the bottom of the MA pages.

Pzkw I ausf F-01.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-02.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-03.jpg

So I am building a Russian kit of a German tank that invaded Russia during the Great Patriotic War. (WWII)

This should be interesting.

Thanks for looking in Bob and Eric!

Have gotten through the first several steps on the assembly. In one case, a pin in the mold had slipped changing the shape of a part. Definitely not a cake walk build, but it is moving along at a nice pace. I have most of the hull assembled at this point. The fit is so-so, and while the parts all line up and fit together fairly well, all the joints have needed some green filler to level things out and fill the joint lines.

Here is the first update. I am so glad I chose this small and simple kit. If it were more than it is, it would be a candidate for the #13 file. As it is fairly simple and such it should survive the build. One of the biggest things is almost every locating pin is larger than the hole it is supposed to locate into. Then the hole positions don't line up with where the pin is at and won't line the part up correctly. So many thing wrong before even assembling it. Minimal references being used.
Duh Lg.gif

Here are the photos.

Pzkw I ausf F-04.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-05.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-06.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-07.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-08.jpg

Yes, an actual kit manufactured in Russia. Nothing against Russians, but there should be no excuse for some of the things I have dealt with on this. It actually shows that this kit never had any test shots to make sure it was correct. It was a "Da! Here is the mold comrade! It is a good mold! Make many copies and we will have Rubles to spare. (Brain fart)

It should look OK when done though. Not a well known tank (only 30 built) and it is small to boot.

Thanks for looking in!

There were 30 built and from what I can tell 3 still exist. One is at Kublinka and the other 2 are in Holland I believe.

There are only two in existence, one at Patriot Park (ex-Kubinka referenced) and the second in Serbia (Belgrade Museum).

Really nice work on a good, simplified kit. Clunky but still a good basis.

NOTE: I am being nice and refraining from living up to my moniker, Information Overload. ;) Unless you specifically ask. ;)

Regards,

Chris and Bob, thanks for looking in!

There are only two in existence, one at Patriot Park (ex-Kubinka referenced) and the second in Serbia (Belgrade Museum).

Really nice work on a good, simplified kit. Clunky but still a good basis.

NOTE: I am being nice and refraining from living up to my moniker, Information Overload. ;) Unless you specifically ask. ;)

Regards,

Saul, I am a reference scrounger and am running on 20 photos I got from the web. On set of color photos of a tank that is outside on concrete pads have it in a pale green, then in green/brown over sand. The other "new" photo is of a tank indoors, apparently the same place as the Maus and much more complete. Always good with more info if for nothing more than to put in my reference stash.
Eric I have 2 Alan kits, this one and a Bison II. Now not sure if I ever want to mess with the Bison.

Thanks Saul! Those are some excellent reference photos! Was wondering what the inside of the turret looked like. (Yeah rusty) At least gives some ideas for how the gunner would stand in the hatch area.

Time for another update. It has been a little cantankerous, but I am beating it into shape. Got ahead of myself on the exterior paint. a number of main parts still need to be placed on it. Oh well it will just need some touch up instead of a full coat on most of it.

Here are the photos.

Pzkw I ausf F-09.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-10.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-11.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-12.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-13.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-14.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-15.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-16.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-17.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-18.jpg

Pzkw I ausf F-19.jpg

A lot of it is assembled and painted. It is getting down to the small things and odd stuff for now.

Thanks for looking in, and let me know if you like it.

Great build so far. I'll have to give that thinning technique a try.
:vgood:
Eric, as to the thinning trick I would suggest a very accurate drill press. I use my small mill to do this. Also you can't use a fast drill as it would melt the plastic. I will take a photo of my setup tonight to show you what it looks like. As I did it for doing aircraft parts it has plenty of space.

Thanks for looking in Bob.

Amazing work on such a beastly kit. Just WOW
James
Thanks James! It isn't really a bad kit, but it is one that is testing my skills a little. Once you get past the alignment pins being too big for the matching holes, AND the fact that the holes (or pins) are not in the correct places, the parts are not too bad and can be worked with. I still have to deal with 140 track links and mounting all the little items on the outside, but I don't see that being much of an issue.

Great build so far. I'll have to give that thinning technique a try.
:vgood:
As promised Eric, here is some info for doing the "Drill Bit Thinning Process".

Thin process - 01.jpg

Thin process - 02.jpg

Here are some reposts from the Me 323 I started quite a while back. It got shelved for various reasons at the time and it turns out it was probably for the best at that time. Since then I have learned a few things and I suspect it might be possible to finish the giant beast now. I thinned down the fuselage on the inside as a 1/72 scale kit with a FABRIC skin over framing should not be so thick.

Me-323-GB-035.jpg

Me-323-GB-037.jpg

If you look close in the above photo, the lower fuselage part shows shiny little imprints where the support was under the drill bit. The pressure of the drill bit on the plastic pressed a slight divot into the outside. Putting a layer of tape on the outside seems to prevent this. If you use tape on the outside, be sure to take the thickness of the tape into account when doing the setup.

Me-323-GB-038.jpg

I don't remember what the thickness was to begin with, but it is possible I could have thinned it a little more. This plastic isn't as flexible as the plastic in the tank fenders. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Back