• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Looking For US Army Vietnam Stowage Parts For Gun Truck

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
About ten years ago, I started a Tamiya GMC Deuce and a half for a Charlie Don't campaign. This was the first campaign I started, but didn't finish. During my recent shop renovation, I came across the forgotten gun truck. It is so close to finishing, I'm really not sure why I didn't get it done. Anyway, in looking at what I need, I'd like to buy or trade for some spare tires and wheels to go in the bed, several 50 caliber tombstone ammo cans and anything else someone might want to haul along on a fire mission. Please check the spares box or if you know of an aftermarket source, I'd really appreciate the input. I have lots of parts we can trade or I can purchase outright, have Paypal. PM me here via conversation. Thanks in advance!

Please, post photos of what you already have. I know Tank Workshop has the tombstone 50 Cal but those were rare in 'Nam by the time the gun trucks were built.
TWS-005.jpg

They used 40mm ammo boxes on some. AFV Club produces ammunition sets originally designed for their gun truck beds.
71zovzf2fML._AC_SL1280_.jpg

As for tires, I have seen several resin 3D printed (FCM comes to mind). This is from Accurate Armour set A123:
a123_a.jpg

Regards,

Come down and help us dry wall and you'd have the pick of the shop! :rotf

I probably have stuff but where it is now I don't know.

So far, and free if sent in an envelope ✉, I found three 40mm ammo boxes for your Quad. Yes, you will need 4. I will keep looking as I am sure I have some more somewhere.

Regards,

@Iron Mike, Academy kits provided four open 50 cal boxes (for the Quad as an option), three 40mm boxes, several closed 30 & 50 Cal boxes, several M-16, two M79 grenade launchers, and 4 M60 machine guns (to go with the 30 Cal boxes). Haven't found the vinyl tires yet. They might be in the diorama bin.

Regards,

Just an idea since you are using a GMC. I know that the French used their GMC trucks armed with 40mm AA guns and additional armor.

41-0.jpg

Terry @MrT had an excellent build to give you ideas of what you can do.

Imagine the French left it behind without a gun and the US troops find it and complete the metamorphosis?

No worries about a covered cab either!
CCKW353+Bofors+001a.JPG

auteui10.jpg

CCKW353+Bofors+001c.jpg

image.png.e00d9552aff383639839f20364e57833.png

Another idea with a 75mm Pak (f)
ace84483f915655dba157cc594d7104a.jpg

Regards,

All great ideas for a future build, but I'll be finishing the one I have almost completed.

Here's the tire tread pattern and wheels I would like to find to use as spares.
IMG_5497.JPG
Def Models has Uniroyal (sagged - $25USD plus shipping)):
ww2-us-cckw-truck-wheel-set-for-tamiya-hobbyboss-135.jpg

Panzer Art has Firestone (less than $20 shipped form eBay):
s-l500.jpg

and Goodyear (no idea why it is $25 shipped):
s-l500 (1).jpg

I hope this helps if no one has them to spare.

Regards,

Back