• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48th scale Tamiya P-47D Bubble (Pin Up Campaign)

Hey guys, more progress on the P-47.

First up, I needed to work on some mods to the fuel tank. The tank supplied by Tamiya does not have any of the connections for the fuel line or for the pressurized air lines. I did a lot of research and couldn’t find any photos of just the flat 150gal tank so I had to make an educated guess. I added a small panel made from thin plastic sheet and then drilled two holes for some micro tubing. I placed the tubes at a point similar to the 108 gal paper tanks based on photos of the tank installed it looked close enough. Ended up being a pretty simple mod, here is a picture of the tank prior to finishing.

h840780e.jpg

Once the mod was finished, I painted the tank, first with Alclad gray primer, followed by Alclad Dark Aluminum. I gave it a wash and painted the fill cap red and finally flat coated the tank with Alclad Flat.

ha108ad1.jpg

While I was doing the wash, I accidentally broke off all 4 of the sway braces for the centerline hard point. :bang head I had to fix this before I could install the finished tank.

h2a15b14.jpg

I made some new braces out of some plastic rod and discs punched from plastic sheet. I drilled out the mounting points and then installed them. They aren’t perfect, but they do the job.

hea1c37b.jpg

I painted the sway braces Tamiya Flat Aluminum, drilled a couple small holes in the belly of the plane to install the lines out of the belly tank, and installed the tank and then the propeller.

hb109cbc.jpg

And that’s it! Jeanie is finished! :yipee In the end I think she turned out pretty well considering my intent was to take a shot at a NMF and try some new techniques.

h58ccb39.jpg

And the whole reason we are here…

h5101e78.jpg

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words along the way. I also want to especially thank Bob (Moon Puppy) for all his help. He answered so many on and off line questions during this build, I really appreciate all the help. :notworthy

Now… where did that ribbon go? :frantic

Mike

Looks to me that you've pretty much nailed this one, Mike.

Ian.

Pretty much yeah, NAILED IT! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y)

Mike I had the same problem with the sway braces and I ended up replacing them with Scale Hardware bolts. You got the job done fine.

You should be proud of this bad girl Mike. Well done. :pilot

Looks to me that you've pretty much nailed this one, Mike.

Ian.

Pretty much yeah, NAILED IT! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy (y)

Mike I had the same problem with the sway braces and I ended up replacing them with Scale Hardware bolts. You got the job done fine.

You should be proud of this bad girl Mike. Well done. :pilot

Thanks Bob, I am pretty happy with the end result. It feels good to have finished something again. Its been a really long time!

Back