• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48th scale Tamiya P-47D Bubble (Pin Up Campaign)

Skinny_Mike

Hey everyone. Well I didn’t get this one done by the end of September as originally intended. :S Hopefully I can get these built in the remaining time frame of the déjà vu build so I can still collect my ribbon.

First off, here is the link to the previous work completed during the Pin Ups Campaign.

A Great Pair of Jugs

I made some progress on the bubble top this week. Starting where we left off, in the cockpit, I added the kit gun sight which received the backup sight from the Eduard etch set. I also promptly added the windscreen to protect these parts during handling.

Pic8_1.jpg

Next up was the engine. I actually built up both engines at the same time. First I drilled out the spark plugs to receive an ignition wire in each cylinder. Then I painted them in Alclad Steel and the gear housing was painted in Tamiya Neutral Gray.

Pic8_2.jpg

Next I used AK’s Grease and Oil Wash on the metal parts and on the housing. I’m probably not going to use this product for this application again. While it did leave a very affective oily sheen over the metallic parts, it really just made a mess of the gear housings. I ended up repainting them and using MIG dark wash on the housing. The remaining details were picked out on the engine with Tamiya Copper and Semi-Gloss Black and the valve covers were painted with Vallejo Steel. Once the painting was finished I added the ignition wires with some copper wire.

Pic8_3.jpg

While I was working the engine I decided to assemble the cowling. The instructions clearly state to assemble the engine, insert it into the cowling and then add the cooling flaps. Too bad I forgot to read the instructions. :blush: I assembled the cooling flaps and then realized that there is a rigde inside of the cowl now that the firewall will not fit over. :bang head

Pic8_4.jpg

Pic8_5.jpg

Honestly, this is a result of me rushing to make some progress. :bang head Just plain stupid. I set it all aside for a couple of days and then though about a solution. Really all I had to do was scrape out the ridge and everything ended up going together just fine, but that could have been catastrophic!

Pic8_6.jpg

I figured it would probably be easier to mask and paint the cowling before the engine was installed so I did that as well, Tamiya Yellow and Black. The cooling flaps will be in Natural Metal eventually. I am not very good at masking straight lines (I really need Les to show me his secret!) so I tried a new trick. I painted the yellow and then I taped over the front of the cowling. With a new sharp blade I ran the blade through the panel line at the front of the cowling and then removed the tape from the front, and sprayed the black. I was left with a perfectly straight line! In all honesty the black strip is supposed to be wider, but like I said – there is no way I’m going to freehand a straight line, and really who will know?

Here is the cowling and the finished motor.

Pic8_7.jpg

Next step is to clean up some seams, add the horizontal tail and this one is ready for paint. Time to catch up the Razorback.

Pic8_8.jpg

Thanks for looking folks
Mike

A couple of Tamiya P-47s (Pin Up Campaign)

Hi folks! Wow – I can’t believe its been so long since my last update on this project. I’ve made quite a bit of progress on the bubble top and the razorback, although that’s been set aside for a bit while I focus on this one. Let’s get to it.

After I cleaned up all the seams I had to replace the detail that was sanded away. All the missing detail was in front of the cockpit on top, so front and center. Only the panel line and rivets along the centerline had to be replaced. I first re-scribed the panel line for the access hatch in front of the windscreen. After that I used a riveting tool to make the rivets. I used a piece of dymo tape as a straight edge for both the scribe and for the riveter. This was my first real attempt and riveting and unfortunately I didn’t get them deep enough on the first attempt, but the row was straight so I used my smallest drill bit in a pin vise to deepen them. In the end it turned out really well. I’m very happy with this result. I also took a page out of our good friend chukw’s tool chest and used a leather embossing tool to replace the fasteners that were sanded away on the large panel at the very front.

Unfortunately I didn’t take a before picture, but here is the end result.

Pic9_1.jpg

Next I attached the horizontal tail, masked the wheel wells and the cockpit, and then it was off to the paint booth. I sprayed the whole plane in Tamiya Gloss Black from the rattle can in preparation for the NMF.

Pic9_2.jpg

After the black dried I check all my seams for imperfections. And there were some. The worst was the seam in front of the cockpit, but the belly and the rear spine needed a little work too.

Pic9_3.jpg

On thing I was very proud of was the wing tips. After all the sanding and cleaning up the navigation lights I figured they would be a bit of a mess. But I was pleasantly surprised that they were nice and smooth. This isn’t the best picture but its pretty clear anyway.

Pic9_4.jpg

So I got the fine sanding sticks out and the polishing kit and cleaned everything up then re-sprayed the black. Once everything was acceptable, I got out the Alclad. Originally I painted the whole airframe in Alclad Airframe Aluminum. But I ended up not liking that color. It was amazingly shiny, but just looked too dark. Next I tried Aluminum, which looked better to me. In order to break up the solid color I also painted the ammunition and gun panels in dark aluminum and the control surfaces in white aluminum. I am very happy with the results. There is a band on the belly that is a much darker metal in the reference photos. I used steel for this band. After the Alclad all dried and cured, I used Tamiya paint for the trim, XF3 Yellow and XF62 Olive Drab.

Pic9_5.jpg

Pic9_6.jpg

That’s where we are today. Next step will be gloss coats and decals. Thanks for checking in, hoping to keep the momentum going on this build.

Mike

Pic9_7.jpg

Thanks Piet! Alclad Gloss Coats went on over the weekend, hoping to start the decals tonight! :yipee

Hey guys! Here's a small update to show you that I am still marching along. Started decals tonight, top of the left wing.

Pic10_1.jpg

These are a combination of decals from Barracuda and the kit stencils.

And, the reason we are looking for a pin up ribbon, may I introduce Jeanie!

Pic10_2.jpg

This decal is from the Kagero set included in the P-47 in the ETO book.

Now I'll set this aside and let the MicroSol do its thing.

See you all soon.
Skinny Mike
:drinks

Hey I know her! I was tempted to do this scheme but I have a sister-in-law with the same name, if she ever saw it, it would be like kinda weird...

Looking good. :popcorn

Yeah Bob - that sure could be weird, but I'm a sucker for a red head so I just had too! :rotf

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Mike

Jeannie is looking f-i-n-e.... :coolio

Ian.

Looking very nice Indeed (y) (y)

Cheers, Christian B) B)

Great idea Bob . I believe I know someone else that would find that peculiar :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

:woohoo: that's pretty awesome looking.

thank you very much fellas. Didn't get much done last night or tonight, but hope to have the decals down this weekend.

:soldier

Hi guys! Spent this weekend decaling the P-47. Like I said last time I used a combination of the Decals from the Kangero book, Barracuda decals for the USAAF markings and some of the stencils and the kit decals for the rest of the stencils. The black ETO stripes on the tail were masked and painted MM flat black.

I did have a few problems. Originally I planned to use the Tamiya decals for the national insignia on the fuselage. Unfortunately I realized, after I had already put the left side marking on, that the blue was different between the Tamiya decals and the Barracuda decals. So I slathered on a bit of Solvaset to try to help remove the decal and during the process I rubbed off some of the aluminum paint. :bang head Fortunately all but one little square was under the decal. I’ll still trying to figure out how to fix that now that the decals are all on. :unsure: The other problem was with the national markings on the bottom of the wing. I put it down on what was a pretty smooth surface, added some Solvaset and let it do its thing. A few hours later the decal was tucked down, but had wrinkled up in a few places. Really not sure what happened, but its on the bottom so I’ll just let it go. :bang head

So here are the pictures

Pic11_1.jpg

Pic11_2.jpg

Pic11_3.jpg

Pic11_4.jpg

Sorry the photos are so dark. I need to change out the background. The white background is really fighting my camera.

Anyway – I’ll be adding a gloss coat over the decals and letting that sit until the weekend. In the mean time I’ll be working on the rest of the piece parts. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this build. Thanks for following along!

Mike

Sure can't see any issues from here. She looks good. :pilot

Back