• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lockheed F-5E Lightning 1/48 Minicraft

Before you get to far, P-38's didn't have Interior Green wheel wells. Up through the G models the wells and struts were painted with Aluminum Lacquer. Starting in 1942, the H and early J models wells and struts were painted Neutral Grey. The late J and L models wells were unpainted aluminum and the struts Aluminum Lacquer. Some very late L models had Yellow Chromate in the wheel wells

Of course there was no hard and fast change date as existing stock was used up on the production line.

The F-5E's were modified from P-38J-25 airframes so could of had either Neutral Grey wells and struts or unpainted wells and aluminum lacquer struts.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks fer jumpin' in with this. I was about to say something & seen ya beat me to it!! :drinks

No need I found a walk around featuring a F-5e saved all the pics now I just need to go and get that Green out of the wells. Next time I'll check the net and not the destructions. I wish I could find the photos, but Home PC won't find the same ones, Oh Well they are Neutral grey, I'm going with it. Thanks Rich!!

Ok now ya'll have gone and started the AMS, started with the true details pit ... I just bought these ..

h3dd9fb7.jpg

And I'm watching these ...

h5803e35.jpg

Now I guess might as well get the True detail wheels, might get some PE also :drool :pilot :woohoo:

No need I found a walk around featuring a F-5e saved all the pics now I just need to go and get that Green out of the wells. Next time I'll check the net and not the destructions. I wish I could find the photos, but Home PC won't find the same ones, Oh Well they are Neutral grey, I'm going with it. Thanks Rich!!

Ok kewl. I'll look thru my CDs and see what I got on the P-38 & F-5E... I git back to ya on it :drinks

Edit: Of all the books I have on these cds, I only got 1 on the P-38 and I think it's in Polish?! :bang head

Well the federalizes didn't make it Friday, and they took Saturday off. I'm still waiting for that pit, meanwhile back at the Ranch, we started fixin the wheel well color.

hfa96c9b.JPG

1st sprayed flat black, then I used a coat of grey primer, still needs more grey, but that's coming

hdc3dd70.JPG

Then I went ahead and worked on the wheels, 1st I brushed some Alclad Chrome, then hit the wheel centers with some Nulin Oil.

hfb3b24f.JPG

Then I used some Vallejo dark rubber.

h61e3919.JPG

h5051208.JPG

h873cd3c.JPG

Now on this next shot I found is very interesting, note the notch in the drop tank, Rich is this the way it should look?

h8c5165d.jpg

C&C Welcome - Gerry C-ya I sure hope the Creek don't rise, We had 10" and it has rained all night, Kinda Wet down South.

Saw y'all getting floods there this week, keep high and dry!

If i'm not mistaken, that notch was for the gun camera.

On the late J and the L models the gun camera was moved from the nose to an extended fairing on the left wing pylon. Both pylons had the fairing but only the left had the internal fittings for the camera installation.

Cheers,
Rich

Ok would that have been the same for the Recon Lightning, as what I've been finding had lots of differences, from gunship.

On the late J and the L models the gun camera was moved from the nose to an extended fairing on the left wing pylon. Both pylons had the fairing but only the left had the internal fittings for the camera installation.

Cheers,
Rich

:hmmm new one on me! Interesting factoid (y)

Ok would that have been the same for the Recon Lightning, as what I've been finding had lots of differences, from gunship.

The F-5's came off the production line as a standard P-38J/L before being transferred to a mod facility to be converted from fighters to the reconnaissance role. They would have had the standard pylons of the J/L model but I don't know if they would have the gun camera installed.

Cheers,
Rich

Ok that answers my question, It's good to have a modelers alliance, in operation, The kit has the wrong or right wing pylon's, I'll do some looking on a web-site I found to see, thanks Rich, I'll let you know what I found. Oh and in my research I found they were converted at Love Field, Dallas, Texas.

Thanks for following along Kenny, I'll have a Update soon, not much as I'm waiting on that Pit, I worked on the struts last night but think I'll order a P-38 walk around if I can find one. :pilot

Here ya go Gerry http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason3/p-38_lightning/
Prime Portal has several P-38s listed

Thanks Ed Just waiting on that Pit, doing little things, I can afford, We had a nearly $200 electric bill. So the money isn't here for the SAC struts I found some photos, so I appreciate the link, fix'n to check it out.

hac73336.JPG

h3ff9548.JPG

Here's the wheels Done finished. thinking about going out to check the new drill press & grooving these.

hd52cf05.JPG

now Rich I hope these look the part, this is only MM grey primer, it was a little light so I added a drop of sea blue, made it turn a good neutral gray, I think they are about right.

Looks good Gerry. Gonna regroove them tires ay? Ya oughta try doing that on an 11R22.5 tire... :gogo :eek:hyeah :drinks

Thanks Guys, on re-grooving the front tire is a diamond shape-tread & the mains are ribbed, I guess the front tire is different for traction while turning, man o man I keep building ghosts. :pilot

Back