• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lockheed F-5E Lightning 1/48 Minicraft

Swordsman

Ok Here We go with the Start up Photos ... I'm on Vacation this week so maybe I'll get a chance to get this started ... Just finding the Kit in My Stash was a chore ... :rotf

h36d675a_2015-09-23.jpg

The Kit ...

h21ab7e0.JPG

hfb3de25.JPG

Time & Date stamp Official Campaign Photo Proof

hd4cdc37.JPG

The Parts in their plastic baggies ....

h5617f67.JPG

The Recon aperture ... on the F-5E Lightning ... So Now I'm Officially in ... :pilot

AICRAFT RECON HISTORY​

In June of 1794, a French Officer, Captain Coutelle, became the first person to use an aerial observation post for reconnaissance against an enemy. From his position in a balloon, he was able to assess the movements of an opposing military unit.

In October, 1861, the first American Army Balloon Corps was created and used during the Civil War for reconnaissance and artillery aiming. Aviation was well established by the time the first World War began, and airplanes became the platform of choice for aerial spies.

In the years following the war, special cameras were developed for the specific role of aerial reconnaissance. They were very large and difficult to handle in the confines of a typical combat plane of the 1920's. However, the following decade saw the design of specialized aircraft, capable of providing a suitable airborne platform for the big cameras.

But these planes were intended to be used peacefully for mapping, etc., under generally ideal conditions, such as during clear weather, and certainly not while under attack from an enemy force.

As World War Two expanded, it became necessary to be able to assess an enemy's abilities to attack, before they could unleash their fury. In order to provide a fast, maneuverable camera platform, speedy fighters and even heavy bombers were adapted to carry a bank of cameras that could provide sharply detailed photographs within a very short time. Using photos from these planes, a combat plan could be quickly formatted to either blunt an attack or develop offensive maneuvers.

Among these types modified for the aerial reconnaissance role was Lockheed's sleek, fast, P-38 Lightning fighter. This plane was so fast it did not need defensive armament, so the space was used to mount sophisticated camera gear in the nose. With these alterations the planes were reclassified as F-5s. The F-5's lightning speed, combined with a ceiling beyond most anti aircraft range, made it almost impossible to intercept.

Other fighters and high speed bombers were modified for aerial photography role during the war, and by the end of conflict specialized observation planes were on the drawing boards. Today's sophisticated spy planes, such as the Lockheed U-2, SR-71 and even more advanced craft descended directly from the F-5 series of camera planes.

Thanks Dave ... How about I ask ya'll a question ... How far apart is minicraft & AFV model kits as all the extras are made for AFV kits ... :hmmm :idonno

Are you going to paint in in the elusive haze paint scheme ? :idonno

I'd love to see someone do one .... :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Are you going to paint in in the elusive haze paint scheme ? :idonno

I'd love to see someone do one .... :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian ... I'll be doing it in the colors on the Box ... which looks like the elusive haze paint scheme to me ... I'm looking at a explanation of that on another tab ... the model is in Blue-gray ... some photos I found looks like some camo pattern was thrown in ... I'll do the best I can ... :pilot

Good morning Modelers, I've come to the alliance this morning bringing gifts of photos, and the cutting of sprue.

ha6adac2.JPG

Ok seems no one knows the answer to the question I posed, so I'll proceed as planned.

h94ba57e.JPG

Parts soaking in Blue Dawn

h0bdc55a.JPG

I hope they can't get out and disappear, "See - Ya wouldn't want to Be Ya !!!" - Army Armstrong

Thanks Dave ... How about I ask ya'll a question ... How far apart is minicraft & AFV model kits as all the extras are made for AFV kits ... :hmmm :idonno

Likely a fair bit of difference as the only F-5 I know of released by AFV is the Tiger II family

afv48s01.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

I know right, the other day, I searched for F5e, I found all kinds of detail sets for the accy kit, my hobby supplier, doesn't separate the Tigers from the lightning, guess I'll just have to punt. Thanks for the pit info Rich I have ordered it

Well it rained so much here the Federal driver didn't make the run before, the building closed. So I don't know if they will deliver on Saturday or not, Pit was supposed to be here yesterday, along with a good friend of mines willow green paint.

h3a31c83.JPG

I pulled the parts out of the wash, allowed them to air dry

h533ca22.JPG

I cemented the wheels together

h163437c.JPG

Sprayed a coat of flat blck primer on thwm

hf6e0283.JPG

hf25dd2e.JPG

h887fd4a.JPG

I cleaned and sprayed the landing gear tubs Ft black outside & interior green inside.

hf1e1cfb.JPG

h5c7d2c4.JPG

hca3c34f.JPG

I worked on drop tanks some

hdaf5226.JPG

I sprayed gear struts and some other stuff Flat black, That is all for today I must go to see if the Creek is out, seems the rain was what My Customers were waiting on as I had a good day yesterday in sales.

C&C welcome C'ya later Alligator :salute

I was trying to have a hold on to place for painting them after I do the spokes/rims I'll cutthem lose and file/sand the gate. Thanks for looking in. (y)

Before you get to far, P-38's didn't have Interior Green wheel wells. Up through the G models the wells and struts were painted with Aluminum Lacquer. Starting in 1942, the H and early J models wells and struts were painted Neutral Grey. The late J and L models wells were unpainted aluminum and the struts Aluminum Lacquer. Some very late L models had Yellow Chromate in the wheel wells

Of course there was no hard and fast change date as existing stock was used up on the production line.

The F-5E's were modified from P-38J-25 airframes so could of had either Neutral Grey wells and struts or unpainted wells and aluminum lacquer struts.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich, I got to thinking about that, After I started painting. I was just following the destructions, they said aluminum for the struts & IG for the wells. I'm not a research oriented modeler, so I appreciate all the help I can get, never enough time in the day, for net surfing. One would think the model Company/Tech writer would have research this, but then again thanks for the info.

Back