• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lightning - Build #1 * *DONE* *

Lightning - Build #1

Yeah, can't argue, matey - but nothing that is superfluous, all needed and all will make a difference, possibly should have invested in set of brass main gears... :idonno

Wait until you see what's going in to the Mirage F1 I'm planning :frantic .

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-08-29-4.jpg

Lightning - Build #1

Progress:

h530fc49.jpg

hfb5ba80.jpg

Fuselage done, no problem getting the 'bits' between the halves. but because it's going to be finished as a virtually factory-fresh unpainted machine, then the surfaces have to be like glass before I think of priming it. As you can see I've hit the fin with a couple of thin coats of TS-16 yellow: I'll gently sand them tomorrow and spray a coat of (deeper) Chromate Yellow as this one is a little 'anemic'. It isn't glued in yet, just pushed in to place for the pic.

ha9c378c.jpg

Not done much in the pit as you cannot see a thing with the lid closed. Just a Quickboost resin seat which looks like a dog's dinner in the pic, but is actually very accurately detailed.

Hopefully the wings will be on tomorrow morning, and I may even get prime it tomorrow afternoon. As ever all comments, questions and criticism welcomed.

AFN

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-08-30.jpg

Lightning - Build #1

Good start, always thought it was an interesting looking design but didn't know that much about it. Watched a documentary on youtube about it and found it to be most enlightening to pun a phrase !

Lightning - Build #1

Fin now painted Tamiya TS-47 Chromate Yellow and I'm a LOT happier with the tone. Wings on and filled / sanded; in fact all the construction is done now (out of shot the missiles are done too). All filled / sanded and plastic polished with Micro pads & cloths...

h5c13254.jpg

h18d31cf.jpg

...if you have a touch-screen computer you can feel the plastic, it's like glass isn't it ?

AFN, have a great weekend everyone.

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-08-30-2.jpg

Lightning - Build #1

I have some nice Tamiya aircraft for this one. Just have some other builds to wind up first.

Lightning - Build #1

Painting will be a step-by-step process for this one. First step was to prime it, then polish that to a glass-like finish, next I sprayed Tamiya gloss black along the spine & fin.

hc0a5475.jpg

h7539b4a.jpg

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-09-03.jpg

Lightning - Build #1

My mix of 3 parts Dark Aluminium & 2 parts Aluminium (both AK Xtreme Metals). Sprayed in two medium coats at low (12psi) pressure. Left to dry / cure for 24 hours then masked ready for [straight] Aluminium.

h8cdff36.jpg

haf210db.jpg

h0c536ab.jpg

h0407fad.jpg

After the straight Aluminium, I'll reverse mask a handful of panels and spray them with Stainless Steel and that will be all the main 'metalwork' done.

More next week as I'm on duty both Sat & Sun. Have a great weekend everyone. :ro:

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-09-06.jpg

Lightning - Build #1

My mix of 3 parts Dark Aluminium & 2 parts Aluminium (both AK Xtreme Metals). Sprayed in two medium coats at low (12psi) pressure. Left to dry / cure for 24 hours then masked ready for [straight] Aluminium.

h8cdff36.jpg

haf210db.jpg

h0c536ab.jpg

h0407fad.jpg

After the straight Aluminium, I'll reverse mask a handful of panels and spray them with Stainless Steel and that will be all the main 'metalwork' done.

More next week as I'm on duty both Sat & Sun. Have a great weekend everyone. :ro:

Ian.

h6b42d3e_2018-09-06.jpg
WOWSER :woohoo:

Lightning - Build #1

Looking great man! I'll be watching this closely as I'd like to do the same thing with some of mine.

Back