• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

Latest Acquisitions

Oh man that wagon rod is the nicest looking hot rod model I have ever seen :love

I know right it came with the deal... Has a label on the back saying it was donated to a veteran hospital ... So I can't sell it at the shop ...so it went to my house ... Belongs to Gerry now ... :good:

Latest Acquisitions

The first book (Father's Day gift arrived but I haven't taken a photo.

I also got these Trumpeter kits:

TrumpD302330box.JPG

Other than the decals and tire treads, it is the same as their D-30 Early.

TrumpBTR70box1593.JPG

Replaces the old Dragon kit and I specifically bought to take the AGS-17 auto grenade launcher for this subject (which I helped Echelon Fine Transfers with references for the decal sheet):

hd3d3990.jpg

A lot of work is still ahead to make this into a Late BTR-80 and some of it was already done for the BTR-80A kit. I guess that one will be next!

It also helps me in case the BTR-70 Early seen here had any upgrades (I already have Trumpeter's BTR-70 Early):

h43f2646.jpg

h6cbaf3d_2015-06-06.jpg

Regards,

Latest Acquisitions

These here are a trade deal from a Facebook friend. I also got some extras with these kits,like some Dragon DS tracks,and some turrets.
shst9_zps2cgewmbj.jpg

A Shapeways order.
These are bogie skids and drill guide for Dragon or Academy kits.
sw6_zps5kygtou8.jpg

The D70765 exhaust deflector for the M4A2(76)W with VVSS . I am not sure if the (75)W would use it.
sw2_zpsb9omk3vt.jpg

Hull detail set 1. Front and rear lifting rings. Air vents with covers for the M4 and M4A1, Mars Light siren,and Bullard Siren.
sw1_zpstt8kqbmh.jpg

Three pairs of the stamped and spoked idler wheels for the Dragon kits. It is barely there,but they have the casting symbols on them.
sw7_zpsq7zdif3z.jpg

This box is for the Free French Sherman tanks used in Europe. Some were on the turrets. Some were on the backs of the hull.
sw3_zpsgvhs6mjo.jpg

Those bins had the Victorian style handwheel screw latches,

Latest Acquisitions

Nice snag Zod!

The Shipway stuff has to be painted in enamel right after cleaning. Other wise it will continue to "bleed"

Latest Acquisitions

Nice snag Zod!

The Shipway stuff has to be painted in enamel right after cleaning. Other wise it will continue to "bleed"

Thanks Sherman 18. I applied some paint just to see if I could get the casting numbers to stand out.Is a laquer primer an OK base coat after I clean them?

Latest Acquisitions

Nice snag Zod!

Really? I need to check out my stuff, but don't think I've cleaned them.

Those parts have a lot of mold release agent on them. Very slick. I think it was Saul Garcia who said you need to be careful in what solvents you use to clean them. Some may harm the parts.

Latest Acquisitions

I used Windex or 409, seemed to work for me. I did not paint the parts right after and noticed them "bleeding." Even bled out with Tamiya paint on them.

DSC01961_zpsfdf7954c.jpg

DSC01962_zpsecd123c9.jpg

That is when I went back and found out you need to put an enamel on after cleaning. :good:

I cleaned the parts, installed them and painted by brush with Humbrol on the next Sherman. So far no bleed.

DSC02697_zpsrq5ve76r.jpg

DSC03057_zpsnwj2nurq.jpg

Latest Acquisitions

Yikes...I need to check the track jacks on my Sherman then, I really don't recall what I used. Pretty sure I used Windex in the ultrasonic to clean them though.

Latest Acquisitions

.ok good to know I'll file it away for future reference ... Thanks James as I haven't ever used as my shapeway products

Latest Acquisitions

I seldom post on this thread but I feel inclined to share my happy moment at the Fayetteville show :D

I got to meet Mr Dana Bell who's post on WW II aircraft colors I have been following on ARC any time I find one .

Since he he was researching for the Smithsonian I consider him a worthwhile source for knowledge .

IMG_7173.JPG

He had a number of book for sale and I could not resist the two on Corsairs

Corsair_books_001a.jpg

Corsair_books_002a.jpg

Corsair_books_003a.jpg

The books are wonderful references on the corsair. Very good black and white photos, color photos, diagrams and illustrations of the evolution of the Corsair paint scheme.

Well worth the cost of the purchase . Thank you !

Cheers, Christian B)

Latest Acquisitions

I got a set also. He blows some of the theories about what was done out of the water.

He said one thing that I didn't follow up on when we were talking. Grumman Grey, he said he knows what that color was and I, like an idiot, didn't ask him! :bang head

Latest Acquisitions

I have a question for him myself.

If you look at period film or colored pictures you will notice that the aircraft appear to be blueish green.

No one ever seems to mention that . Curious if it was a problem with the film or development process ? Or we just overlook the color ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Latest Acquisitions

Well, I've got color slides from aboard ship taken in the 60's. The Kodak ectachrome all has turned to a bluish/greenish color cast, the Kodachrome went to a reddish/ orangeish cast. I've had a few of them enlarged and printed and the printer can usually "fix" that, but the outcome is really the color opinion of the operator and not necessarily the true colors at the time. Plus, every film has it's own color bias right to begin with, with each film leaning toward a somewhat different color base.
All the stuff about what the "true" color of something was, no matter what the basis for it's interpretation, is still, in my opinion, subjective.
I really enjoy the discussions regarding black and white photos and what the colors are that the different shades of grey represent. Some get pretty heated.

Latest Acquisitions

Well, I've got color slides from aboard ship taken in the 60's. The Kodak ectachrome all has turned to a bluish/greenish color cast, the Kodachrome went to a reddish/ orangeish cast. I've had a few of them enlarged and printed and the printer can usually "fix" that, but the outcome is really the color opinion of the operator and not necessarily the true colors at the time. Plus, every film has it's own color bias right to begin with, with each film leaning toward a somewhat different color base.
All the stuff about what the "true" color of something was, no matter what the basis for it's interpretation, is still, in my opinion, subjective.
I really enjoy the discussions regarding black and white photos and what the colors are that the different shades of grey represent. Some get pretty heated.

I feel very much like you do . Took a lot of pictures in the 70/80's and they have shifted towards the red.

For some reason the vision of Navy birds sitting in AZ. and they all looked greenish blue 50/60's movie . Also noted pother period films with that same shade of blue.

The only way to get close to the original is if you have color chips from that era to get you in the ball park and then you need to factor in weather and operations issues :frantic Not to mention what has happened to the original.

That is one of the reasons I really like the above books. The color references appear to be very believable .

Don't even want to get into the black/white debates. :facepalm

At least I think I have a plausible explanation about the green . My photografic experience does not go back that far :facepalm

Thanks , now all I can only screw up what I think to be the right colors :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Back