• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

Latest Acquisitions

Nice Dremel EJ ...... I have an old flex shaft ..... myself ..... I might look into one of these soon .... I also need to start getting some different woods into my shop for scratch builder such as you ..... I think it's a must ...... Need score keep Me posted on how it works for you ....

Now as for James ...... WOW a T-Rex looks awesome ..... nice Bi-p[lane also .... I was wondering how the quality on the Shapeways stuff was as I've been toying with the ideal of having some stuff printed also .... I just don't have the design expertise ...... I'm thin k about a 3-D reader for Help ..... :eek:ldguy

Latest Acquisitions

He made some 3 piece ones in PE, but is not set up for mass production. His Fokker DVII has fully functioning ailerons rigged all the way back to the stick. His Albatross and Fokker DVII are beyond description.
The Shapeway parts look awesome and so crisp. II guess he has modified them a bit more so the are even better for the next batch. The detail that these are is very very impressive.
James

Latest Acquisitions

He made some 3 piece ones in PE, but is not set up for mass production. His Fokker DVII has fully functioning ailerons rigged all the way back to the stick.
James

I knew it could be done!!! :pilot Don't think you can do that with all the kits but that one does have the hollow wings.

Latest Acquisitions

He made some 3 piece ones in PE, but is not set up for mass production. His Fokker DVII has fully functioning ailerons rigged all the way back to the stick. His Albatross and Fokker DVII are beyond description.
The Shapeway parts look awesome and so crisp. II guess he has modified them a bit more so the are even better for the next batch. The detail that these are is very very impressive.
James

Thanks James ..... I've discovered Shapeways through one of my Customers who has a friend who does On30 stuff for model railroading .... I'm moving to that scale as my old eyes & hands are getting to big for the small stuff ..... I really love this forum ..... I can't tell you how many of my builds have stalled because one ever answered a question I asked ..... Very quick response ..... :notworthy (y) :eek:ldguy

Latest Acquisitions

James, the question I would have to ask about those Shapeway parts is how smooth are they? The biggest problem with 3D printed parts has to do with the resolution of the printer. Some printers are awful! The resin wheels I got for my 1/32 A-10 are horrible as they were printed on a very coarse printer. :unsure: Trumpeter insists on doing rubber tires UGH! :facepalm :bang head

Latest Acquisitions

Paul I got some track jacks for my Korean Sherman and they were very fine printing, you could even see the screw threads on the jack. I'll try and find a where I posted that.

Latest Acquisitions

Here's the finished shots of that build.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/shermans/140225-korean-sherman-done?start=204#160808

Ah, I did a review on them.

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/news-reviews-and-shows/147495-shapeway-3d-printed-parts#156706

t80tension02.jpg

Latest Acquisitions

Very cool! I have been eyeing the new cordless Dremel. I have a flex shaft setup on my bench now but I would like a cordless option too.

Latest Acquisitions

Been using the new Dremel. It is not as powerful as the Foredom I've been using, but is perfect for what I wanted. Very light and It fits my hand very well, kinda like a fat magic marker, and gives me great control. I fitted it with a small 3 jaw chuck with a 1/8" shaft that works well in the collet and makes bit changes quick. Drilling tiny holes with the variable speeds is a dream. It gives me a nice, delicate, light touch when drilling and sanding. The stand is a charger, so when I place it in the stand it automatically "fills up", always charged. I really like it. Don't know why I didn't get one before.

Now - got a bit more wood - walnut planking and small trim, an electric plank bender and a wider, flat paint brush. Also, I had e-mailed Model Expo for a hull template set for a vintage "Elsie" kit from Model Shipways. I found an updated instruction manual on line that referred to the templates. A couple days ago, out of the blue, a FED EX package came with the templates set printed on card stock. No bill or charge, even for shipping. How great is that?

EJ

Latest Acquisitions

Been using the new Dremel. It is not as powerful as the Foredom I've been using, but is perfect for what I wanted. Very light and It fits my hand very well, kinda like a fat magic marker, and gives me great control. I fitted it with a small 3 jaw chuck with a 1/8" shaft that works well in the collet and makes bit changes quick. Drilling tiny holes with the variable speeds is a dream. It gives me a nice, delicate, light touch when drilling and sanding. The stand is a charger, so when I place it in the stand it automatically "fills up", always charged. I really like it. Don't know why I didn't get one before.

Now - got a bit more wood - walnut planking and small trim, an electric plank bender and a wider, flat paint brush. Also, I had e-mailed Model Expo for a hull template set for a vintage "Elsie" kit from Model Shipways. I found an updated instruction manual on line that referred to the templates. A couple days ago, out of the blue, a FED EX package came with the templates set printed on card stock. No bill or charge, even for shipping. How great is that?

EJ

:eek:hmy: (y) :woohoo: Purty kewl EJ!! Don'cha just love it when a package mysteriously shows up & it don't cost ya anything!! :geek :drinks

Latest Acquisitions

These came today too.

I've used wire with home made handles, toothpicks, modified sewing needles and more to apply glue. These things work very well for CA glue, especially for those little cracks and in-accessible spots. Version one were made of brass PE and were softer so my ham-handedness bent them up pretty well in short order. Version two is made of stainless steel PE and are more robust. For some reason they seem to work better as well. They fit in an exacto type handle. I really like them.

These I picked up at the Kalmazoo Kontest show. They are stainless steel and designed to be held in your fingers. Great for placing really small spots of CA.

EJ

Latest Acquisitions

I tried the version 1 set and didnt like them because the bent up so badly. Might try them again now that they are Stainless steele. Then again you cant beat a needle with the top cut off chucked in a pin vise either.
James

Latest Acquisitions

That definitely looks like a very helpful tool. I might have to try the needle in a pin vise trick though.

Latest Acquisitions

I use the needle tric too, like these? Different size needles make different pickup tools, some with just a wire. I like to make handles out of skewers.

EJ

Latest Acquisitions

Yup thats what I used for years. Used some brass tube and jammed a toothpick in with the needle to hold it. Then when the needle broke yanked it out and replaced the needle and tooth pick and had a new tool. Then moved to the bigger handle. Those sticks work though I bet.
James

Latest Acquisitions

Yes, you have to go mention tools so I went and got others to try! The rest just jumped into the cart...

AMWTW020.JPG

AMWTW021.JPG

AMWLW35103.JPG

AMWLW35102.JPG

AMWLW35098.JPG

AMWLW35100.JPG

AMWLW35097.JPG

AMWLW35096.JPG

AMWLW35089.JPG

AMWLW35088.JPG

AMWLW35086.JPG

Trumpeter01670J15box.JPG

MM35803.JPG

PARE35123.JPG

PARE35077.JPG

PARE35073.JPG

Click either image, above or below, for a review.

Regards,

Latest Acquisitions

Nice Saul. What do you think about the AA gun?

Couple of books or so arrived yesterday.

DSC05301.JPG

DSC05302.JPG

DSC05303.JPG

DSC05304.JPG

DSC05305.JPG

DSC05306.JPG

DSC05307.JPG

DSC05308.JPG

DSC05309.JPG

DSC05310.JPG

Back