• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (new pics )

Very Nice Paul ... excellent rebuild and lighting effects ... I just scored some prewired LED's from China that would help you in the lighting dept. ... (Photo)

h809ac9e_2016-03-10.JPG

Twenty of these little buggers already wired ... On eBay ... $10.00 including shipping

As for diffusion way ahead on that one Jim. :hmmm :D

Oh that reminds me. Something I used on a model to disperse and diffuse the light more was a small wad of cotton... not alot... just a little.. more like a thick webbing. It worked really well too! You can vary the amount of light you allow thru just by adding a little more or taking away some. I just stuffed it in the hole in front of the LED and it really made a big difference. Took out all the hot spots, made it look alot brighter without taking away any of the effects!

While looking over the bottom side for the spotlight and LRL placement I noticed something about the upper part of the lower "Jaw" in the center between the "Mandibles". As usual my photos explain it well so enjoy.

Oh and a word to the wise it might be good to wait on gluing this particular piece until you have the top part in hand. Things could have gotten crossed up.

Falcon-EX-079.jpg~original

Falcon-EX-080.jpg~original

Falcon-EX-081.jpg~original

Falcon-EX-082.jpg~original

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. (after all I might have forgotten something)

Ok here is some more of the basic I got parts. I believe that this is now most of the parts for the bottom side. Still no mandibles though.

Another thing is that with the next shipment I will pass the halfway point. Yet this isn't quite half the model yet. It's going to be interesting.

On with the pics.

Falcon-Basic-196a.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-197.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-198.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-199.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-200.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-201.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-202.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-203.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-204.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-205.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-206.jpg~original

That is all for now.

Nope, no vac forming for the clear parts. I have some .010 thick polycarbonate that I am going to use. I am going to thin the frames down from behind a bit and then sandwich the polycarbonate between the outer frame and an internal frame that I will scratch build. Am thinking I might use some micro screws to attach it all together. :evil: I mean really micro screws. :D

No glue or minimal glue and the polycarbonate is pretty tough stuff.

This is looking great so far. I'll be really interested in seeing the windows actually built the way you describe.

I also keep thinking that I really, really want to read all those magazines you keep getting! I'll watch and see if anyone else who's building/has built this puts them up for sale or something.

I missed Star Wars day. (May the 4th be with you)
duh.gif

Here are some more Basic posts with some extra goodies for those of you that are building this beast.

Falcon-Basic-207.jpg

Falcon-Basic-208.jpg

Falcon-Basic-209.jpg

Falcon-Basic-210.jpg

Falcon-Basic-211.jpg

Falcon-Basic-212.jpg

Falcon-Basic-213.jpg

Falcon-Basic-214.jpg

Falcon-Basic-215.jpg

Falcon-Basic-216.jpg

Falcon-Basic-217.jpg

Falcon-Basic-218.jpg

Falcon-Basic-219.jpg

Falcon-Basic-220.jpg

Falcon-Basic-221.jpg

Falcon-Basic-222.jpg

I am still mostly focusing on the Arizona build, but this is a nice diversion that comes around once a month. Keeps me from doing a total burn out on the Az.

Gives you plenty of time to plan this thing out doesn't it? :popcorn

Sounds like it's going to be a lot of weight, are the landing gear going to be able to support?

:woohoo: Yiiikes :popcorn At very worst it will be an interesting paper weight :good:

Oh, wait . Does anyone still use paper anymore ?

Very interesting Paul (y) Cheers, Christian B)

Thats a lot of reading material there and a lot of model. Still watching with intense interest :D
James

Where did you find those magazine binders? (y) I can seriously use those for my build.
It looks like I'm one shipment behind you, so your posts give me a fun preview of what's on the way.

Where did you find those magazine binders? (y) I can seriously use those for my build.
It looks like I'm one shipment behind you, so your posts give me a fun preview of what's on the way.

I ended up getting them on Amazon. WalMart (online) "supposedly" had them cheaper, but totally screwed up. One said they had them, two said they shipped them and three weeks later still no show. Got that order cancelled and ordered off of Amazon had them 2 days later.
They work but the slot is a touch big for these skinny little magazines. I would have used some page protectors that insert from the 3 hole side but the magazines are about 1/32 too big to fit in them right.

On another note, I sort of watched Star Wars 7 again tonight. Looks like JJ has the turrets rotating to some extent. Also the ship looks to have the basic shape of the original 32" model but has a lot of the 5 footer details added that were missing from the 32" model. I am working on a big post that will try and go into some of the differences.

Today was build little parts for the Arizona. I put the 5 inch guns to the side and built something different on it.

I saw that about the turret. The ventral circle rotates around when Fin is down there. You can see it pretty clearly when Rey flips the Falcon upside down to take out the last TIE.
I interpret that as the hallway to get to the gunner platforms just get out of alignment, and it needs to face forward to access the ladder again.

Actually Dan there is a film shot just after they get on the Falcon where Finn goes down into the lower turret. At that point on the ground he fires up the turret and the outside view shows the gun banging from side to side. It also shows 2 of the front landing gear so the turret is facing to the rear. As usual Hollywood set designers totally poof it when it comes to making a set mechanically correct.

The main reason I am jumping on here is that the last couple of weeks have had a LOT of computer time spent on the Falcon and I have drawings showing what I have worked out. There are also THREE full shipments that I finally went through and got all the stuff photographed. So there are both Basic and EXtreme posts with a total of 51 pics ready to be seen. I will be posting them in batches of 10 which makes it a little better on the web page.

Enjoy!

Falcon-Basic-223.jpg

Falcon-Basic-224.jpg

Falcon-Basic-225.jpg

Falcon-Basic-226.jpg

Falcon-Basic-227.jpg

Falcon-Basic-228.jpg

Falcon-Basic-229.jpg

Falcon-Basic-230.jpg

Falcon-Basic-231.jpg

Falcon-Basic-232.jpg

To be continued. . .