• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (new pics )

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (New Tool pics)

Yeah I noticed the rectangular dish on the Falcon, I figure there will be a fair amount of little changes, but then it has been almost 40 years since the 1st movie. Han has been busy tweaking.

Once I noticed the differences on the X-wings I did see the resemblance to the original McQuarry concepts. It was especially noticed with the crashed X-wing in the desert scene.

h12a1866.gif

Welcome aboard IMU, thanks for that tip, those things could come in handy for a lot of applications.

Head over to our Introduction Forum and say howdy to everyone. Show us some of the stuff you've done. :popcorn

Got shipment #5 yesterday with some more goodies. This package had some clear vac-formed parts to use as jigs when building the main hull parts.

(see there's a reason I am waiting to build some of this!)

Anyway, here's what's in this package:

Falcon-Basic-093.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-094.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-095.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-096.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-097.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-098.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-099.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-100.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-101.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-102.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-103.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-104.jpg~original

Falcon-Basic-105.jpg~original

Seemed like it was a little light on parts this time. Also in looking at the corridor parts that came in Issues 19 and 20 I think there are some things that are a bit off with them. Will have to do some photo compares later on me thinks. If it is as I "think" it is, there will be even more cut-n-chop down the road.

Enjoy!

Large Custom Millennium Falcon (Shipment #5)

As long as its you doing the cut and chop I cant wayt to see it (y)

(y)

Don't put anything on a lathe or I'm done for. :bang head

Oh!? You mean like turning a new barrel like on THIS?

Falcon-Basic-010.jpg~original

Going to have to make 2 new guns and you know that means masters and resin because I'm not making 8 gun barrels from scratch. I'm also not going to make 2 yokes or gun bodies from scratch either. One of each is enough.

:D

The rear cockpit bulkhead is going quite slowly. I did do a prototype test this weekend and found many problems with the execution of my idea. The basic idea is still fairly sound but (as I already knew) the initial sets of square buttons were not accurate enough to work well, but showed the flaws in the test. I have fixed that issue and have some very precise jigs made out of aluminum now to cut the square buttons out and they look GREAT!

The flaws I found are that the alclad chrome will not work on top of the bare acrylic very well. The black primer on top of that chips off extremely easy. Bad is it won't work, good is that I can use this on other builds to do chipped paint.

duh.gif

As to the light coming through from behind, the clear plastic buttons are fairly bright once the paint is removed from the top surface, but can't get a consistent coat of white paint on it where they will be translucent. I do have some .005 thick styrene that works quite well for this though so that should work OK. The buttons won't be extremely bright, but will have a off white glow. So that will work out.

The little round light idea with some .010 dia fiber optic placed in drilled holes is going to be too problematic. It "sort of" works. Sort of in that the lines are fairly straight, but not in that the areas between the strands don't have enough paint and what to really give the lights the separate "spots" they need to be. This issue is what is making me rethink how the panels will have to be done.

So I have another idea.
light-bulb.gif

As an initial rethink I believe that some .003 or maybe .004 thick brass sheet with holes drilled for all the lights and larger holes drilled for the square buttons is what will be needed. This then also breaks the panels up into smaller parts to be done. I will still use an acrylic back piece like I have already done but the brass will be attached to it. Then I think I can print some decals to overlay that, punch out the holes for where the buttons go and attach them with small amounts of CA. That should take care of the marking problems, light block problems, and I can drill the tiny light holes with VERY small carbide drills. The digital attachment on my mini mill will make that job easy. Time intensive, but easy. It will also be more crisp than a similar panel done as photo etch.

Anyway, enough on that for now. I will have some photos on it soon.

Man Paul, that's a lot of brain storming there buddy. Good luck. :popcorn

Thanks for looking and commenting guys! I am really pushing the envelope on this. I have to admit and give some credit to Chukw as he and his very detailed builds are where my inspiration to exceed my limits on this have come from.

For a very long time I was locked into a state where if I couldn't build it "perfect" right off the bat, I either quit or never started it. As of now that is over the hump a tiny bit and changing and improving every day!

While Chukw brought me here with his awesome builds and special unique way of showing how he does the wonderful builds he does, the rest of you all welcomed me and have inspired me to just try stuff.

This is the first time I can remember, where I built something up as a test and it failed (somewhat miserably) and yet it worked out as I learned some things that "will" work, and learned some unexpected things that will be usable later on.

Thanks guys, you don't know how much I appreciate ya.

I think I speak for everyone when I say: You're welcome Paul. I truly appreciate your incredible willingness to do more and more in pursuit of that exact look that you are searching for. I am still just an OOB modeler who builds toys compared to what you do so I always check in to view all this incredible work. Even though I don't ever see myself doing all this on a model; I am inspired by what I see here to try harder to improve my basic building skills.

Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

Duke I admire your ability to multitask on your models. I can't seem to do that. I get going and focused and might get just a little bit done. Small models doesn't mean that they are toys either. OOB just means you enjoy assembling what you have and are quite happy with that. I like doing modifications. If I couldn't at least change "something" I would probably go nuts. :gogo (Probably am anyway :rotf )

OK, speaking of changing things, here we go again. :D

Right off to it. . .

Falcon-EX-072.jpg~original

Falcon-EX-073.jpg~original

Falcon-EX-074.jpg~original

Falcon-EX-075.jpg~original

Falcon-EX-076.jpg~original

Falcon-EX-077.jpg~original

Falcon-EX-078.jpg~original

Do you think I am just a wee little bit OCD? Nahh. Surely not as this is just the beginning of the changes I have planned.

Let me kknow what you think folks. It is coming along now.

Well done on the experimentation. The difference in the two panels is like night and day. Tremendous improvement! I can't wait to see more.

I am in cpmplete awe at your techniques and skillsets, Paul! Your sheer determination is most admirable as well. This is a truly fascinating and inspiring build thread- cheers!

Back