• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-86D OKANG

Paulw

I got this bug again and I thought I would give this kits a go. The 1/32 Kitty Hawk F-86 Sabre Dog. I didn't like the livery that came with the kit so I went searching for some color plates of an Oklahoma Air National Guard unit. I found one and I really think it will be my legacy build.

I started with the pit of course and it went together very well. When I got to the painting and the decal controls it was just a bit tedious. They responded with setting soultion but it took quite a while.

I then went on to the intake trunk and nose gear.

I went with German gray for the tire color and Tamiya Titanium for the wheel,

Thanks for all the kind comments. There are some minor issues with this kit so far. The front wheel hub requires drilling out so the axle can be inserted, it also requires some serious clean up in the way of those little semi-circular tabs that are in the ejector pin locations and the sprues are miss marked. The instructions show a part from say sprue G but in actuality sprue G is sprue C.

I also find the joins between the intake trunk pieces and the front of the engine are very short and this causes some frustration while getting it all together. The intake trunk and a bunch of pin marks just make sure that you don't sand the ends of the trunk because it is shaped to fit and not too much in the way of relief for the parts to lock together.

Here the engine is test fitted to the intake trunk. The burner cans are also shown and are an easier part of the engine assembly.

the rocket bay is also fit to the intake trunk and has a lot of detail to be seen.

I will be posting more as I get it closer to completion. Thanks for looking in.

Looks very good Paul ... I be noticing that all your builds are big ones .... Latety .... Do you have the same desease I do ??? ... :idonno

I spent most of the day trying to get the fuse sewn together but I had some problems stemming from my miss assembly of the rocket magazine to the intake trunk and nose gear bay, so it sits at an angle causing the engine to not fit too well and a host of other problems, etc, etc.
I got the main gear bay together and tried to dry fit the aft section of the fuse to the front and not I have gap issues with that section as well as some of the bottom wing section. it all stems from my errors. I also had a giant data dump and forgot to install the ip and dash so I was fortunate that it wasnt a hard installation after every thing in the pt was closed up.

results of my errors

Ouch Paul ! I would not have thought that the tolerances in a 32 scale kit would have so much difference :woohoo:

Sad to see :S

Hope you are able to make something out of this . If it was mine ( if ) I would probably toss it in the freezer till all the glue joints fell apart and tried again.....But that's me :bang head

Cheers, Christian B)

What is it with the F86 that they always have to split the fuselage?

Looking good Paul. :popcorn

In simple terms Bob that's the only way to display an engine on a P-80, T-33 , T-38 , F-84, F-86 F-105 .

The tail end comes off and the engine is slid out :good:

Luckily the B-52's were not like that . That would have been monumental :bang head

I'm sending you some modeling :zen :zen :zen "s Paul :zen ... it's not too shabby ... don't give up the ship ... :captain

Back