• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-86D OKANG

As it stands right now this is looking like it may just go all the through to the finish. It won't be as pristine as I hoped but at least it will be close.

I have installed the flying surfaces and the usual gaps are showing up, wing to fuse fit, etc, etc.
One of the things that I recommend is to attach the wing's upper surface panel to the fuse before you attach the bottom because if you do it as the instructions say by assembling the wing then attaching it you will run into some serious fit issues. Right now I have some fairly good sized gaps to put some card or sprue in just to make it look presentable but it is getting there.

This is a serious tail sitter so dont put the radar and nose parts on until there is a substantial amount of weight in there to offset it.

Another tough area is the tail pipe assembly. If the whole engine and tail pipe aren't fitted well then the rear portion of the fuselage wont close or fit flush. I got mine to fit halfheartedly with some creative gluing and sanding.

What started out to be a good kit is turning into a sow's ear. The wing assembly has to be assembled a different way than what the sheet says. I would put the upper panels on the fuse first then the lower one. While the upper panels are drying there ia a part of the LG that needs to be installed in the wing before it is closed up. This part is the attachment point for the gear strut to the wing. If you do it the way the instructions indicate you will end up having to modify the part greatly. The front of the intake is a separate part and doesn't quite fit well. I wound up with a 3mm gap and closed it up with some well placed Bondic. That stuff works a charm for tiny gaps. This plane got a good dose of the stuff.

This is a real tail sitter so I had to opt out of the radar dish assembly in order to add enough weight. I still have some fill and sand to do but I think it will be ready for paint soon enough. This gave me a chance to try the AK interactive xtreeme metal. I used the polished aluminum straight from the bottle with no base and it came out pretty nice. It is enamel and closely resembles Tamiya metallics. Some shades you can buff on and they come out with a brighter sheen. You can find out about it on this link, https://youtu.be/3OnSqACPZRo

I enclosed a pic of the gear doors that I shot with this stuff.

It's looking pretty good though Paul! Those NMF paint jobs are always a pain in the can. They always show every flaw there is. It looks like it is coming along well though. Keep on it, I want to see and Okie plane! (y)

Hey Paul, how would you compare the AK metal finish to Alclad ?? (better ?/worse ?/same ?).

Ian.

Found it at Last Cavalry

http://shop.lastcavalry.com/search.php?search_query=xtreme&x=10&y=13

About the same cost as AlcladII.

Hey Paul, how would you compare the AK metal finish to Alclad ?? (better ?/worse ?/same ?).

Ian.

I would compare it more closely to Tamiya rattle can metallics. although I have not used the chrome and the other colors yet. You can get them from the Brothers of the Sprue. about $6.00 or a bit more.

Ian.

I would compare it more closely to Tamiya rattle can metallics. although I have not used the chrome and the other colors yet. You can get them from the Brothers of the Sprue. about $6.00 or a bit more.

You must get a deep discount. :D

Spruebro has it for $11.00. Think I'm going to get their Black Base and Chrome to see how it compares.

just don't use them with alclad... You know what happen when you mix enamels with lacquers or even liquor.

Yep, did you watch the vid? I went to their site to look it up and I think that is what I read.

Because of all the difficulties I had with this kit I chose not to use the xtreme metal or the alclad but instead I opted to go the acrylic route. I don't think I am very close to finish because I have more parts to instal, decals and weathering. Any help weathering NMF would be welcome. I did use the parafilm on the wind screen with mixed results. it easier to cut out the frame work but i loose all of my sharp lines that I get with Tamiya tape. This thing is a tail sitter all the way and I am still trying to gather up enough weight to get it right.

Back