• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

KI-46 III Dinah - Completed

Re: KI-46 III Dinah

Some fun with Has and Ed.

After cutting off the rear of the engine nacelle, it was time to install the PE in the wheel well

wheel_well2a.jpg

Overall these parts did not fit together well. Hasegawa had a much different sized well than what Eduard had in mind , resulting in no positive place to fasten the PR.

I decided on gluing down some sprue to help guide and secure in the right location .

wheel_well2a.jpg

Having the PE secured, I decided on a different approach on the Aotake paint and detail

wheel_well3a.jpg

I must say , I'm happy with the outcome . :)

Hope you like it.

Thanks for looking . Cheers, Christian B)

Great effort and attention you invested here Chris, beautiful work! :popcorn btw, I really like trumpeter scriber, great tool for 72nd scale (Tamiya is also nice but, can cut 1mm if you push 2 hard :lol: ).

All the best!
Dusan.

Thanks Mike , Bob , Dusan. I have tried other scribes and although they work, I find that this one feels good in my hand.
Still , no matter which one you hold if your energy level :zen is not right then it is still useless.

A trial (several ) fit of the PE inserts for the flap opening revealed that no matter how you bend them , they are still too long for space.

Dinah_flaps_003a.jpg

That said, I trimmed off the forward rib with an Exacto knife. Notice the right one is shorter.

Dinah_flaps_001a.jpg

Having removed the plastic flap weakens the inner wing, I filled the void with some sprue and made a ledge for the PE to be glued to.

Dinah_flaps_002a.jpg

I then installed the PE to the gear doors and painted them as well. Cant say that it improved the detail though.

Dinah_flaps_004a.jpg

Thanks for looking . Comments good or bad are welcomed . I sure mumbled a few things.

Cheers, Christian B)

That's some nice detail work with the PE in the wheel bays and on the flaps Chris,

I remember looking at a Dinah on Hyperscale, by Bruce Salmon I think, where he dropped the flaps on the Tamiya kit and it looked really good. I kinda wish I had gone through the trouble and done that with mine.

I think it's looking great! I don't think I'd have the patience to fiddle with that PE on a 1/72 kit, it would be bad enough on a 1/48!

:popcorn

Nice job with the Atoke paint too ! That's the pre-mixed stuff?

Nice job with the Atoke paint too ! That's the pre-mixed stuff?

Thanks Warren. Regrettably, no. I will send you more info but the main colors are Tamiya translucent paints over a base coat.

The PE Is a bit of a headache. I will take it back up as soon as I as get these two others off the desk I need to concentrate on this one .

Cheers, Christian B)

Well, I'm back and it hasn't got any better since I put it away :( No idea what sort of drugs those people at Edwards are taking but it must take all the pain away :S

Here's the deal . You're supposed to be able to bend the sidewall in an ellipse from front to back and then up and down as well. :smack

And then another set of curve above the canopy sill going inside the clear part . :bang head

Does anyone here think they could do that ? :vmad

001a%7E0.jpg

Me neither . I cut the upper pieces off and will glue them in separately .

002a%7E1.jpg

After the heat treat and all the forming I still can't get it to lay completely against the plastic .
I haope that a hand full of clamps and cyano will keep it in place .

This is almost as much fun as the wheel wells in the MS.406

That's all my nerves can stand for tonight . If you were thinking of one I hope you regain your sanity.
Comments and ideas are welcomed. Cheers, Christian B)

KI-46 III Dinah

Hope it settles down for you Chris. Weird that it is fighting so much. Usually I find Eduard will curl and crinkle if you look at it wrong.
James

You're supposed to be able to bend the sidewall in an ellipse from front to back and then up and down as well. :smack

And then another set of curve above the canopy sill going inside the clear part . :bang head

Physics seems to escape them sometimes. I remember another warping instruction but can't recall what kit, maybe the PE Zim for the gun port on the Panter? :idonno

I know what you mean James . After the heat treat :vmad ( and before ) it is good to have one of these toothless retracters .

Quack_001a.jpg

Most of the time, pinching the bend will straighten it out .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back