• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

KI-46 III Dinah - Completed

phantom II

Master at Arms
Well, changed my mind on this campaign . I have decided on the Hasegawa Dinah III

snagle_tooth_003a%7E0.jpg

With the 406 drying and the LA-7 awaiting paint, I decided to start scribing the plastic on this one to get it started.

snagle_tooth_004a%7E0.jpg

Cheers, Christian B)

Re: KI-46 III Dinah

Nice choice. Not very often you see that get built. What is amazing to me is that for most of the war nothing could catch those things.

Hi Guys . Glad to see you excited.

This airframe really is streamlined . It reminds me of a big fuel tank.

I imagine no armament or armor helped a great deal in it's speed. Besides I've always found fear to be a swift motivator :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

Meanwhile in the Pacific, the Japanese were very busy checking the main parts of their recon plane .

Strangely , Mitsubishi forgot to send one of the horizontal stabs is missing . :blink

fresh_updates_004a.jpg

For now, we'll just borrow one from another airframe :)

Although the kit looks straight forward there will be many fiddly pieces to add.

fresh_updates_003a.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Christian B)

Looking good Christian,

That's a lot of PE to add! I actually didn't know Hasegawa made a kit of this plane, I thought only Tamiya covered it....

Hey Sharkman this one is 1/72 . They also have the step nose Dinah.

Tamiya's example is 1/48 .

Cheers, Christian B)

Well, here's a perfect example of what not to do. :(

It is also the reason why I don't like to build multiple models at a time :blink

Having scribed the wings and checked the alignment of the kit . I promptly glued the wing halves together just to realize later that I should have cut the flaps out. :bang head

So last night I cut the plastic and tossed wing assembly into the freezer so that the glue lines could be separated this morning :sick:

KI-46_001a.jpg

Not the best way but we'll get there :coolio

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Christian B)

Since the trailing edge of the wing did not survive without damage I have repaired it.

I don't know if any of you have had this problem before but this makes a good repair.

Dinah_repairs_002a%7E0.jpg

Place some scotch tape on the outside surface of the wing.

Dinah_repairs_003a.jpg

Second apply some super glue in the broken section and let it harden for a good while.

Dinah_repairs_004a.jpg

When hard, remove the tape and this is what you will see.

Dinah_repairs_005a.jpg

As you can see, the outside is already good. Just sand down the trailing edge carefully.

Dinah_repairs_006a.jpg

When the trailing edge is good, just sand the inside until it's flush with the plastic and you're ready to apply the PE.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. Difficult to shoot that well.

Hope no one fell asleep. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Christian B)

Back