• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Junkers Ju-87R della Regia Aeronautica

Flyingbabydoc

Hello Everyone

So here I go again. My entry to this campaign is an oldie with a twist.

I will be building the Italian Junkers Ju-87R-5 used by the Regia Aeronautica until 1943, and called "Pichiatelli" (little divers) by the crews.

The model is an Airfix 1/72 (new tooling) with lots of PE from Eduard and Decals from Sky Models. I will assemble the aircraft from 239 Squadriglia, 97° Gruppo in Lybia during 1941. This aircraft was flown by Capt. Giuseppe Cenni, who was one of the few recipients of the Medaglia d'oro al valore militare (Gold Medal for military virtue), the highest Italian military award in WWII.

The kit is supposed to be a B-1 model but the parts for the R-5 version including auxiliary tanks are provided.

Additional information for some scratch-built parts will be obtained in the Volume from the Ali d'Italia series "Gli Stuka della Regia" (see below).

And yes, I will dilute the paint a lot more this time. Promised. :dude

Preliminary images:

hd5372bd.JPG

h6c9b4c9.JPG

h838be5c.JPG

hb47bc8f.JPG

h8051588.JPG

Thanks for looking. Your comments are as usual greatly appreciated

Alex

Hey guys

I thought the same thing Christian! If he flew one of these, he must be closing on 90-100 y.o.! :eek:ldguy :eek:ldguy :eek:ldguy

Here is the progress so far. The PE is marvellous, nice colours and great detail. For scale our 1-Cent is the same as your penny. Now it is painting phase, very diluted acrylic painting. Hope you like it.

Quick question: do you use primer coating in the interior before painting as well? Or only outside?

I will start work on the second SM.79 later on the weekend, your helps and tips on that thread are also greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

hbb91c35.JPG

h53c004a.JPG

h5f9904d.JPG

h815baae.JPG

hf1e52c8.JPG

h7bb18c4.JPG

Alex

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the kind words.

It has been fun working with my Elves, Dave. I got them during graduate School in Milwaukee. For you to have an idea, this was part of my PhD Dissertation: I did a surgical cutting of a respiratory nerve in 2-day old rats (the little yellow thread going into the red outlined artery). And they survived! After that, a 1/72 PE is a giant in comparison... :Hiay

h8e55da8.jpg

he9ad823.jpg

h778c356.jpg

So going back to the plane. I did only a bit of shading after painting. These are macro-augmentations of the details, so you can see that they've gotten as good as I could get. Now I will let it rest and start the assembly. BTW I got a primer from Gunze, I will try it for the first time. Perhaps it will indeed make a difference in painting, most definitely I will thin out like I did in the interior.

Thanks again and talk to you soon.

Cheers

Alex

h61d09d6.JPG

he2bf3f9.JPG

h53f3bae.JPG

h4c09945.JPG

hf29d6f3.JPG

hcb18cee.JPG

Hahahaha I am good at stabbing myself with the hobby Knife does that count :yipee
looking good mate :good:

Hey guys

Thanks for the support. I got some more work done and, as you can see, the primer has been applied. I am curious as to if it will make a difference. I hope so. fingers crossed!

So this is the status quo with the main assembly completed:

ha983ca4.JPG

hbe98fb4.JPG

h4233dff.JPG

hd8ce4ff.JPG

h6bda2a1.JPG

Cheers everyone

Alex

Back