• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italian Regia Aeronautica in Russia 1942

Flyingbabydoc

Hello all,

The Regia Aeronautica (Italian Air Force until 1943) was involved in a minor way in the Russian front from 1941, suffering badly from the weather conditions (open cockpits in the Russian winter...🥶🥶🥶) and lack of spare parts or winter camouflage. In any case, the Italian Expeditionary Force was also involved in Stalingrad
and other battles of the front. This force included Macchi Mc.200 fighters, Caproni Ca.311 bomber/reconnaissance, Macchi Mc. 202 (after Mid-1942) and a few Savoia-Marchetti Sm.81. One of the bases was Voscilorograd, home of the 356th Squadriglia of Mc.202 and Mc.200.

This diorama is an attempt to replicate these aircraft, based on a few Mc.202 that I had already built before and adding a Mc.200 and a new Mc.202 with lots of PE and a Daimler-Benz 601 engine from Aires. Additionally, I will be using brand new 3D injected Resin from the Model Bunker in Ireland (https://themodelbunker.com), which I strongly recommend.

This is the work so far:

ready models:
IMG_5172.jpg
IMG_5173.jpg
IMG_5174.jpg
IMG_5175.jpg
IMG_5177.jpg
IMG_5178.jpg

Mc.200:
IMG_5458.jpg
IMG_5459.jpg
IMG_5460.jpg
IMG_5461.jpg
IMG_5462.jpg
IMG_5463.jpg

Mc.202 with the DB Engine:
IMG_5309.jpg
IMG_5310.jpg
IMG_5441.jpg
IMG_5442.jpg
IMG_5443.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay tuned. Comments are always appreciated!

Cheers

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_5176.jpg
    IMG_5176.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Thanks guys much appreciated. Work is slow in this one since I am concentrating on the other projects. In any case here is a slow progress in the wheel bay and on the accessories for the diorama.

Cheers

Alex

IMG_5464.jpg
IMG_5465.jpg
IMG_5466.jpg
IMG_5467.jpg
IMG_5468.jpg
IMG_5472.jpg
IMG_5473.jpg

I did some airbrushing yesterday and earlier today. Set off huge sneezing fits and the sinus faucet yesterday. Wasn't as bad today, but still set off some sneezing and a few more water works. Will be so glad to get over this cold. I think it was the paint fumes as much as anything, but there are times I can relate to what Alex deals with.

Thanks a lot guys!
@paddy Bob has said it - airbrushes are deadly for me. With paint brushing I can handle the fumes by using only acrylic, water-based solvents. Resin work only "under water" also, so it is complicated. I would love to be able to use an airbrush...
@Heavens Eagle: Paul, i can totally relate to that. To me it is less the nose but rather the lungs that shut down. It is not nice. This Spring has been abnormaly cold and wet, so that I have had my share of crises in the last few months. Even had to go back to steroids for a short while. When that happens I really need to stay away from the bench. It is unfortunate but necessary. I hope you get better soon!

Cheers

Alex

Great Looking project Alex! It always good to see you at the bench. Your skill with the brush has much improved and will continue to do so the more build. Hang in there and looking forward to see more.
:victory:

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your comments a lot. It is a classic cliche of making a lemonade of the lemons. I am always trying new things with the brushes and who knows, someday it might look similar to the airbrush after all.

There has been some small progress on the Mc.202 with assembly and painting taking place. I have added the DB.601 after a lot of modifications, it does not show as much as in a Bf.110 or a Bf. 109 but still you can see a what we are dealing with. Looks rather cumbersome but I will try and smooth it out.

Still waiting on 2 FIAT trucks to complete the diorama afterwards. This project is giving me a lot of pleasure in making.

Cheers and thanks for looking

Alex
IMG_5474.jpg
IMG_5475.jpg
IMG_5476.jpg

Thanks guys. I know it looks very dirty with all the resin and glue and plastic and primer... I promise it will look nicer in the future, or I will die trying.

Cheers

Alex

Don't die, just do your best. My models also look dirty and somewhat bombed with glue when I'm building. Still, they end up looking very acceptable so I know that you will also do the same and your models will look just as good. It's all part of the process my friend.

Hey, you should have seen some of my short run kits I've done in the past. Talk about dirty! Wow!

@Duke Maddog: Mark, it is amazing how you always have a conforting word, an incentive, a good advice and a positive thing to say. I want you to know that I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Back