• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

JUNKERS JU 388 L - Just finished !

lupanzer

Master at Arms
Hi all!

My entry in this campaign will be this one, a 1/72 scale model from Special Hobby :

I find this plane one of the most beautiful WW II German planes.

It´s not a easy construction job , because it´s a "short run" model :

Vacuum formed canopy

Photoetcheds

Resin parts, and

No reference pins/ holes for the assembly, follow the usual start photos ;

The canopy is very yellowish due to the age :frantic . I believe that by removing the excess and painting the frames this yellowish ton will disappear...almost... I hope so!

See you soon!

Luiz.

JUNKER JU 388 - Special Hobby

Ooooohhh but you are a brave Man :woohoo: I have had that kit in my stash since it came out . I have not been brave enough to start it yet :pinch:

I will follow this with great interest as I would like to build my own . Please inform us .

Best wishes on this project . Christian :salute

This should be Veeeerrrry interesting! I look forward to your build. :popcorn

If you are concerned about the yellow canopy you could use the existing vacuform canopy to make a mold by filling it with plaster of paris or something and then vacuform a new one.

I'm wondering if polishing would remove the yellowing :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

JUNKERS JU 388 - Special Hobby

Thank you guys for the support!... very appreciate :drinks

Luiz.

This should be Veeeerrrry interesting! I look forward to your build. :popcorn

If you are concerned about the yellow canopy you could use the existing vacuform canopy to make a mold by filling it with plaster of paris or something and then vacuform a new one.

Grateful for the suggestion, it's a great idea, but I think when I remove the excess acetate, which is thick, so yellowish in appearance, and paint the frames the final canopy will look much better.

Best!

Luiz.

I agree, Luiz, it is a nice looking airplane. I built the Planet 1/48 kit some years ago, and so did chukw.

Oh boy, another resin beastie eh Luiz? I am sure you will do an excellent job on it.

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

Looking forward to your build, I have the Planet Model kit as well as the AIMs conversion kit for the 1/32 Revell Ju 88 kit. I started the Planet kit and got the interior done but stalled out when Chuk did his. There is no fix for yellowing canopies. There have been numerous threads about this on a variety of forums where suggestions range from exposing them to sun light that seems to work for yellowed decals but will not help on plastic to soaking them in bleach or polishing them. Unfortunately the issue is a chemical one and effects the plastic all the way through. The yellowing issue stalled out my Fairey Battle build a few years ago and it's still on the SOD awaiting a fix. Yours doesn't look all the bad and like you say may look OK once painted up but be aware it may continue to darken over time.

Thank for the info on yellowing vac formed canopies Gary . Save us some time.

Cheers, Christian B)

JUNKERS JU 388 - Ready for painting.

Following with the Junkers,final step before the painting job :

Luiz

Back