• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

John's Sturmtiger

First quick photo of build in progress...

sturmtigerbuild_073_20100214_1687531482.jpg

Rockets... main resin gearbox, and main hull with rear firewall from Academy Tiger interior (not fixed yet)

Ok... I'm officially stumped... Trying to get the resin gearbox, that comes with the internal set, into this thing... but it simply sits too high. I seem to missing something here and would need to do some serious cutting work in order to get it to sit low enough to allow the front hull top section to sit in place....

I've built up the gearbox from the Academy Tiger with interior kit and it is a much better fit, but the detail is pretty average and also isn't long enough... :unsure:

Hi John.

That is a real frustrating issue to deal with. It really drives me crazy when someone sells you a detail set made specifically for the kit you have, and the pieces just don't fit :angry: . You probably already have the answer, but I will make the suggestion anyways. The best you can do is to start to slowly cut or grind away at the bottom of the transmission, and anything on the kit that can also be "reduced" :unsure: a little bit at a time, until it will fit. Relying on the fact that the bottom of the transmission will not be seen through the open hatches that you have.

Gary B)

Hey Coop I think I told him what to do but I don't see it here so I must have sent him a PM.
I've slept since then.

Tony Lee

Thanks Gary and Tony (yes you did PM me). Work has kept me a bit busy the last couple of days, but I have taken your valuable advice and started "shaving" in order to get this gearbox to fit...

The frustration levels on this kit are a little bit higher than I like. :angry: Also beginning to think I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew... :eek:hmy:

Especially with this damn (oops, am I allowed to say damn on this forum... oops I said it again... :eek:hmy: ), "AFVClub Interior set" which I am beginning to question whether it's even really designed for the kit - either that or it's more a dodgy add-on designed simply to get more money out of the customer...

Anyhoo.... back to getting this gearbox to fit... 1mm to go....

Ok, finally the last component of my SturmTiger has arrived. The Eduard photoetch zimmerit arrived today from GreatModels. No more excuses now. :eek:hmy:

scan-100223-0001_20100223_1494084743.jpg

I think the only difference in core components between my build and Tony's Sturmtiger build is that I went the photoetch zimmerit and Tony went the resin zimmerit. :cheer:

Of course, Tony's build is awesome and progressing much further... and I'm sure the end result will be incredible compared to my effort.

Anyhoo... my SturmTiger has been in the naughty corner all week since everything I did seemed to go wrong and it gave me the poops.... :blink so back to work....

Ok,

Just too show that progress is slowly being made on my Sturmtiger -

Finally got that damn gearbox to fit! Some of the Zimmerit is on and starting on some of the photoetch...

sturmtiger_094_20100425_1937709980.jpg

sturmtiger_093_20100425_1442547333.jpg

Just one "with the top on"... for effect... :cheer:

sturmtiger_092_20100425_1007034166.jpg

Hiya John.

It is looking OK as far as the transmission goes. I was wondering how the photo etch zimmerit is working out as far as fit.

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
I was wondering how the photo etch zimmerit is working out as far as fit.

The fit of the photoetch has been spot on. As you can see along the side, the small square "holes" for the side guards matched perfectly. B)

It's the one part of the build that so far has gone really smoothly.

Looking superb so far John , It is a pain with Aftermarket that simply does not fit !

Have you got the Ryton book on the Tiger and Sturmtiger ? It is loaded with some awesome interior photos plus a Sturmtiger which was "disected" so you can see the internal structures . I hope the rest of the resin fits well for you :) .

Jenny :kiss:

Hey John! Glad to see you got over the poops and back to modeling. :S Looking good so far!!

Well, this is a major failure on my part with this one.... No progress made and only 30 days to go.... with no serious chance of finishing it unless I get mega-serious about the build this weekend - which is very unlikely.

Looks like the SturmTiger has become a shelf queen to be finished one day in the future... I knew I pushed it too far with the interior and all the photoetch. :( I think my eyes were much bigger than my abilities... :S

Time to start again with the USMC build - an out of the box PTO Sherman with some figures and a basic diorama, the Berlin 1945, and the Monroe Perdu "Well Done" group builds. Yet to decide on kit for the Berlin build.

Hi John.

Sorry to hear that you won't be able to finish this one. I was hoping to see it finished as I got one of these in the stash. Just don't let it linger too much in the shelf. :cheer:

Ruben

There's been much talk of a Shelf Queen Group Build so we know John is in. I have a B58 Hustler SQ candidate so it'll be a diverse group.

Back