• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

John's Sturmtiger

tanktrax

Ok, gentle people, this is my first attempt in a group build. The AFV Club Sturmtiger with add-on AFV Club Assault Rocket, VoyagerModel PE update set and some Warriors SS Tanker figures (still haven't finalised what figures will be used yet and may include some Tamiya tank maintenance crew figures. I am also still waiting on delivery of the Eduard PE Zimmerit update set.

At this stage I may also add the AFV Club Sturmtiger interior add-on set and Fruilmodel metal tracks - but haven't finalised that yet - together, they almost double the purchase cost of the build... I'm open to suggestions and am not really sure if they are worth it - can much of the interior even be seen? :unsure:

Anyhoo... here are the mandatory Group Build pictures -

sturmtiger_070_20100108_2048817198.jpg

sturmtiger_071_20100108_1036918330.jpg

sturmtiger_072_20100108_1138130169.jpg

sturmtiger_073_20100108_1080176187.jpg

Wow!! you are really jumping in your first group build with both feet into the deep end.This one should be real interesting.looking foward to seeing it thru.

:ermm: "may add the Sturm Tiger interior" . MAY ? As if there is really any other choice? How could you not with all this other super cool stuff you are going to be doing for this. You gotta do it. Yaah just gotta. :laugh:

Other than that, it is a nice looking set of goodies you have there. And I can hardly wait to see it come together. Even if you don't do the interior.

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
:ermm: "may add the Sturm Tiger interior" . MAY ? As if there is really any other choice? How could you not with all this other super cool stuff you are going to be doing for this. You gotta do it. Yaah just gotta. :laugh:

Ok.... Just ordered the AFV Club Sturmtiger interior and the Fruilmodel tracks... Checked around and found http://www.greatmodels.com not only had both items in stock but was 30% cheaper (including postage! :eek:hmy: ) than stores here in Australia.

This is the first time I have ordered anything from GreatModels, so will be a good test of their service.

Now the wait begins for all the items to arrive... Unfortunately the zimmerit is on back order from the local online store I ordered it from so have no idea when it will arrive.

Maybe I should at least make a start on the figures.... :idonno

Hi John.

Isn't that just a bummer waiting for the post man to get you your stuff. Hopefully customs won't sit on it to long before they let it go. But doing the figures is a good idea. You could maybe do what I am doing, and do that work posting in the "figures" fourm. Then when you finish em, bring em back over here when they go with your Sturm Tiger.

Gary B)

Small addition - Came across some AFV Club workable tracks. :cheer:

I'm still waiting on the Fruilmodel tracks and will have to decide which way to go on the Sturmtiger. But neither will go to waste as I have some other Tiger's where either can be used.

newkits_073_20100115_1846368175.jpg

This looks like a great build
Wait for the Fruils John,

If your adding an interior your going for the full hog.
Extra weight in the plastic body tends to make the plastic link work harder :(

Fruils can handle the etra weight and can take a lot more punishment when your
picking the model up and working on it.
More so than plastic track.

Nothing more annoying when you have an interior and your near completion and your finding the plastic track is braking at the connection point of eacj track :(

Michael :)

mike walsh wrote:
...Extra weight in the plastic body tends to make the plastic link work harder

Fruils can handle the etra weight and can take a lot more punishment when your
picking the model up and working on it.
More so than plastic track.

Nothing more annoying when you have an interior and your near completion and your finding the plastic track is braking at the connection point of eacj track

Thanks for the advice on that. I hadn't considered the strength of the plastic track pieces as I haven't worked with these AFVClub tracks before. I do like the Fruilmodel tracks, but hate the drilling out of each track segment. If anyone knows of a simpler and quicker solution than using a hand drill, please let me know.

John

I've only built one set of Fruils, but they went together quite easily. It was a bit tedious drilling all the holes, but most were very close to the necessary size already, so it wasn't very difficult. I'd use them on all my builds if I had the cash! I'll be following your build, I love the Sturmtiger! :peace

Update... Finally the AFVClub SturmTiger Interior and Fruilmodel tracks have arrived -

sturmtigerinterior_073_20100207_2069872493.jpg

I'm still waiting on the Eduard photoetch zimmerit to arrive. In the end I had to order from GreatModels and it should now arrive in 2-3 weeks. I had originally ordered from a local online provider but they still have it on backorder.... Lesson to learn here is that when an online store says a product is "Available", it does not mean they actually have it "in stock" :angry:

Anyhoo... At least I can start construction now since I was waiting on the interior. So I'm offically calling my build started :cheer:

const05_20100124_1392144115.png
const02_20100124_1697500736.png

And now I am officially interested to see what you can do with all these neat little extra bits and pieces.

Gary B)

Hmmm... Ok, officially run into the first issue. Reviewing the instructions and all the parts in preparation, I've found that the AFVClub Sturmtiger Interior isn't exactly all that complete. :huh:

At first I thought I had an incomplete set but the review on PMMS (http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35s40.html) confirms that the set doesn't come with the firewall between the crew compartment and the engine bay.... :blink A pretty glaring omission in my opinion.

Oh joy... I am simply not gonna get a Tiger engine bay set simply to get the firewall - which probably wouldn't have any detail on the crew compartment side anyway. So it looks like a bit of basic scratch building will be required.... :pinch:

Yeah, Isn't that a kick in the gut. Or even about a foot lower :pinch: . If you check out the "Tanks" fourm you can see that Tony Lee is doing the same interior set in his "double duty" thread. You could see how he handled it to get at least one idea on how to handle this nasty surprise :( .

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
If you check out the "Tanks" fourm you can see that Tony Lee is doing the same interior set in his "double duty" thread. You could see how he handled it to get at least one idea on how to handle this nasty surprise

Many thanks for that... Now how the heck did I manage to miss that thread? :huh:

Oh, I just looked back there myself and I see that he has a resin piece. I'm not really sure who makes it, but it doesn't really look like it should be all that hard to scratch build with two layers of sheet plastic.

But it would still bug the heck out of me to have a model company do something like this to me :angry: .All I can do is offer you good luck with it.

Gary B)

Oh John i'm sorry man. :blush: I didn't know you had already spoken for the AFV Sturmtiger to build.
Since i've got two kits going at the same time I can shut down my Sturmtiger and work on the SU-76 until you've finished yours here at this site, it's no big deal to me.

I was talking about how there was not a firewall at another site and one of the guys said he had a left over fire wall from a Verlinden engine bay kit he didn't use and I was welcome to it so that's where I came to get one otherwise I was going to try and scratch one out.

You'll enjoy building this one so go for it.
Tony Lee :)

Tony Lee wrote:
Oh John i'm sorry man. :blush: I didn't know you had already spoken for the AFV Sturmtiger to build.
Since i've got two kits going at the same time I can shut down my Sturmtiger and work on the SU-76 until you've finished yours here at this site, it's no big deal to me.

Tony,

Please don't stop! I certainly have no issues with two Strumtiger's on the build at the same time - Hey, the more the merrier. At the current rate you will be finished well before me anyhow :) At a minimum, it's providing very useful reference material for me :)

I was talking about how there was not a firewall at another site and one of the guys said he had a left over fire wall from a Verlinden engine bay kit he didn't use and I was welcome to it so that's where I came to get one otherwise I was going to try and scratch one out.

I've solved my firewall problem now as well. Looking through my stash I remembered I have the old Academy Mid production Tiger with full interior - which I had started years ago, but stopped very early in the build (basically just did some of the external build) due to some "issues". While not strictly valid (mid version vs final production version - but I'm not a "rivet counter" anyway :lol: ), I'll be able to use the entire engine bay from the Academy set and also some of the other missing interior detail that the AFVClub set doesn't have.

John

Back