• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ARVN M41A3

Played with some brass shim sheet, I think it will crinkle better than plastic. I cut the sheet to an approximate size then use a popsicle stick to form the brass around the part. As I worked the brass around I would make relief cuts at corners. First try was the left rear door.

1652322317836.png

1652322345770.png

Then I tried the truck lid.
1652322367908.png

When I test fit the parts to the body, they both were to big. You have to ride the horse to learn not to fall off. I'm going to need more brass

When I test fit the parts to the body, they both were to big. You have to ride the horse to learn not to fall off. I'm going to need more brass
If they are to be crinkled and not in the closed (flush) position, is it noticeably large?

Regards,

If they are to be crinkled and not in the closed (flush) position, is it noticeably large?

Regards,

Yes I'm not worried about getting them dead on, the truck lid will work but the door looks off and more like a 1/32 scale

I'm happy with the results I got for the first try, I want to try a couple times more before I throw in the towel.

I want to try a couple times more before I throw in the towel.
No need to throw in the towel. Use the car door opening to trace the form onto card stock from which you use as a templete to cut thicker sheet styrene to form the shim brass. The removed kit part helps get the curved shapes right and it will fit. ;) Great idea I used for fenders but never had the guts to try doors. :D

A double or triple layer of aluminum foil laminated together with spray adhesive might be easier to work than the brass and would still be crinkleable. Is that a word? I'd also suggest popping the door open a bit, that would help conceal the differences in size.
Rock on!
:ro:

A double or triple layer of aluminum foil laminated together with spray adhesive might be easier to work than the brass and would still be crinkleable. Is that a word? I'd also suggest popping the door open a bit, that would help conceal the differences in size.
Rock on!
:ro:

I'll give that a try on the roof, quarters and rear

I would suggest something else as far as the brass sheeting Jeff. You might try heating the brass sheet to anneal it before doing the shaping. It should soften it enough to make the sheet conform to the shape and detail better. It might make the sheet a bit more delicate to handle, but the detail should be easier to obtain.

Back