• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

In-progress pics of 1/32 scale Fw 190D-9

matrixone

After cleaning off my work table I started on this Revell kit of the Fw 190D-9.

Here is the start of this build so far...
403780639.jpg

The back of the propeller blades had very large sink marks and had to fill them with putty and sand them down.
The putty on the gun cowl is to fill in a couple panel lines, I wanted to have a late three piece gun cowl. The kit comes with an odd five piece hybred gun cowl complete with the bumps for a Mimetall produced Dora...such a gun cowl never existed in real life.
The cockpit parts were first painted black and then I sprayed RLM 66 on the raised areas leaving the black in the recessed areas...its a bit hard to see in this picture but its there.
I painted radiator gloss black first and then sprayed Testors Chrome at an oblique angle to capture the molded in detail, it worked very well and in person it really looks like metal. :D
More in-progress pics soon.

Matrixone

Thanks guys!

Dave,
This one will be a real 'trout' since I am painting this model as a late production Dora produced by Fieseler which means it will be getting plenty of mottles. :woohoo:

A couple more in-progress pics, the cockpit parts are not glued yet and thats why there is no control stick in these pics. The engine plug is glued together and some mild weathering done with oil paints has been done but that will not be the end of the weathering there, I will be spraying thick earth colored paint through the airbrush to produce a spatter effect and aim it only at the very bottom to represent mud splatters being splashed up from the wheels.
403780640.jpg

A close up of the cockpit, much of this was painted from memory but after looking through my JaPo and Eagle Edition Dora books I found some mistakes and will correct them before I install the cockpit in the fuselage.
403780631.jpg

Many other things are being worked on right to get them ready for painting so there will be no delays later on when final assembly of the model will begin.

One defect in this kit is the decal sheet...about a quarter of it is badly out of register and useless, not a real problem to me since I plan on using EagleCals but for anybody who buys one of these kits might not like the fact that some of the marking options are not usable.

Matrixone

Always a pleasure to watch one of your builds come together. Looking forward to those "trout" colors! :D

Thanks Dave!

No pics today, I am still getting many of the small parts ready for painting so I can reduce the amount of color changes in the airbrush by painting similar colored parts all at once.
The fuselage is now glued together and I will be checking the seams after the glue is 100% dry. The wings will also be put together later today after the weathering of the wheel wells are finished.

Matrixone

More work has been done, the airframe is built and is starting to get paint on it.

The sides and undersurface have been given a light coat of RLM 76 and some hi-lights with white paint and some pre-shading with black paint were sprayed on.
403997643.jpg

403997642.jpg

There is a smaller model that can be seen in these two pics its an old Airfix Bf 109K-4.

The props and spinners for both of these models have been painted, the Dora spinner was masked and painted while the Bf 109 spinner was painted free-handed with the airbrush. Its not too visable here but the 109 spinner was painted two-thirds RLM 70 and one-third white.

Matrixone

Ryan,
If I were to start posting pics of paint drying like that other fellow did this model would take a year or so to get finished. :laugh:

Matrixone

Thanks Moon Puppy and Paul.

Moon Puppy,
I started using the white highlights on the bottom of some of the Komets I built earlier this year and liked the result and will be doing this from now on, but like any weathering technique on aircraft models it must be very subtle or it will look rather horrible.

Paul,
These models will be seen in my airfield style pics that I like to do, I don't have any dioramas built because they would take up too much space. The photobase and backdrops I use in my pictures take up little space in the house when not being used and I lean them up against a wall out of harms way.

Matrixone

well I would like to see a subject on how you achieved the back drops. I think that would be interesting also

Back