• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IAR 81C

Hey, guys- you are the best! My thanks to all.

Christian, I'm just describing the color of oil paint I used- it's a mix of Abteilung 125 Light Mud plus a little white. It's a "dusty tan" shade. You can look at the period pics and not see a lot of chipping or dirt along panel lines, but you can see dust built up in the crevices and crannies. These planes were well-maintained, but they did get pretty darn smudged, scuffed and streaked. It's kinda fun to study the evidence and try to replicate it.

Maestro Letterman- you are too kind, sir!

Moon, I'll be giving the scooby on those pipes- stay tuned!

Guys, pigments are your friends- so quick and easy to use! You need a matte surface to work on- the powder grabs onto the "tooth", but slides off a glassy surface. I've been taking chances- MIG Pigment fixer does just that- locks 'em down! Their Thinner For Washes sets the pigment, but you can use this stuff to remove or move the pigments around. I doubt it's made out of magic and could be similar to other thinners in my stock. Time for experimentation! In the meantime, here's a handy guide:

http://migproductions.com/wp-content/uploads/thepigments.pdf

I think this build is finally over the hump and in the final stretch- final fiddley bits ahoy!

On top of the awesome work with the model, it's a Romanian thing and that tickles my pride - thanks for doing this bird Chuk, it's special :notworthy

Laurence

Hey, guys- you are the best! My thanks to all.

Christian, I'm just describing the color of oil paint I used- it's a mix of Abteilung 125 Light Mud plus a little white. It's a "dusty tan" shade. You can look at the period pics and not see a lot of chipping or dirt along panel lines, but you can see dust built up in the crevices and crannies. These planes were well-maintained, but they did get pretty darn smudged, scuffed and streaked. It's kinda fun to study the evidence and try to replicate it.

Maestro Letterman- you are too kind, sir!

Moon, I'll be giving the scooby on those pipes- stay tuned!

Guys, pigments are your friends- so quick and easy to use! You need a matte surface to work on- the powder grabs onto the "tooth", but slides off a glassy surface. I've been taking chances- MIG Pigment fixer does just that- locks 'em down! Their Thinner For Washes sets the pigment, but you can use this stuff to remove or move the pigments around. I doubt it's made out of magic and could be similar to other thinners in my stock. Time for experimentation! In the meantime, here's a handy guide:

I think this build is finally over the hump and in the final stretch- final fiddley bits ahoy!

Thank for the info Chuck . Couldn't Google it so I though I would ask.

Keep in mind that well maintained does not mean washed and waxed :rotf Even the USAF started teaching classes in the 80's about getting one more flight out of an airframe .

That did not include soap and water and not even a guarantee for the return trip . That could include a lot of dirt if it keeps coming back :good:

I particularly like the dirt and wear treatment on this build (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

I'm still too scared of pigments to try them.

Ahhh, so it's not just me !! - Excellent work, Chuk.

Ian.

Neither one of you guys should be scared of anything like that. I may not know what I'm doing with them but I have a ball when I do try something and it turns out ok. You gotta try some, get an old clunker and slap some pigments around. :good:

Chuck
Due to an mischievous leprechaun casting a spell on my computer, I have been missing the updates on this project since Sept 2014
cry.gif

So, having now spent the needed time to catch up to all your trials and tribulations, major events both personal and professional, all the while still able to persevere on this "Romanian rhapsody in styrene"; I am glad you have gotten to the primer stage at last. :good: Congratulations.

I wish for you a busy and rewarding second career start.
Combined with all the rewards to which you and your family are so richly deserving. :v

bow_zps2aadf2a8.gif
I remain your humble minion and a brother in styrene;

Phenomenal work Chuck! I also use pigments, but mostly on my armor and such. I'm still such a noob when it comes to weathering aircraft. The pigments I use though aren't Mig; I can't afford them or the AK Interactive. I actually still have some old Tankrat's Pigments from several years ago before he went under. I also have some earth colored chalk sticks I got at Michael's which work far better than I expected. I got them for dirt cheap too.

Congrats on reaching the home stretch. I can't wait to see this on the next contest table!

Thanks, guys1 Prop Duster, it's nice of you to check back in- cheers! As for the pigments- I am still experimenting- I have some pastel chalks and have had them disappear under a flat coat in the past. I need to try using the fixer on them and see how they hold up. They are cheaper, and you can file them to reduce them to powder, blend different colors and make your own colors.

Here's Dodging Bullets Part 2- Marina is just tuckered out from all the engine work she's put in. Read on, Bold Modeler!

IAR_172.jpg

IAR_173.jpg

IAR_174.jpg

IAR_175.jpg

IAR_176.jpg

IAR_177.jpg

IAR_178.jpg

IAR_179.jpg

IAR_180.jpg

IAR_181.jpg

IAR_182.jpg

IAR_183.jpg

IAR_184.jpg

IAR_185.jpg

IAR_186.jpg

IAR_187.jpg

Marina_003.jpg

Excellent fix for the problematic mounting Chuck! I really like how the exhaust looks with the soft rusty finish. Was the rusty look entirely done with pigments over the dark base? The artist skills are showing through on that as it really looks quite realistic!

:notworthy (y)

Back