• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IAR-81C - WW2 Romanian Fighter

Turned out very nice Laurence! Something a little different and your enthusiasm and interest in the subject show through beautifully.
Thanks Paul - this is indirectly linked to members of my family, two that I know of were pilots in WW2 - they would have certainly see and hear these birds up close.

Laurence

Absolutely Outstanding build! :good:
I googled to see if the IAR-80 had a name, like a lot of fighter aircraft did. Did the Romanian pilots call it "Eagle", "Hawk", "Thunderhog" or anything like that?
Thank you :good:

As for a name, I don't really have any evidence there has ever been one. This airplane has been and still is much discussed, at least amongst Romanian enthusiasts. I read some of those forums and much more, never seen a name. Nose art, yes, quite a few inspired by American cartoons' characters, but that's all.

Laurence

Thank you :good:

As for a name, I don't really have any evidence there has ever been one. This airplane has been and still is much discussed, at least amongst Romanian enthusiasts. I read some of those forums and much more, never seen a name. Nose art, yes, quite a few inspired by American cartoons' characters, but that's all.

Laurence
Thank you!
"Cyrano" comes to mind, even though he was a Frenchman.
I try to imagine the courage it in those days took to strap on such a machine, point her at the clouds and fight the enemies of your homeland.
Freezing cold, only rudimentary instruments. Often outnumbered by more modern aircraft. All bravado left on the Earth.
Fighter pilots were men such as this.

Back