• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I think I'm turning Japanese...

h8b36978_2015-10-26.jpg

(y)

Nice looking airplane Les. Your paint chipping is amazing. Unfortunately I think many modellers overdo the chipping on late war Japanese aircraft and it ends up looking a bit fake. Yours is spot on, subtle, yet not so much.

Mike

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Ian,
Aeromaster had some really bizarre color suggestions in their decal instructions at times but that is understandable for late war Luftwaffe aircraft, AFAIK Japan only had one shade of red used in their national insignia for the entire war, where did they get the idea for brown like what is printed on their Ki-46 Dinah decal sheet? I was counting on using the Aeromaster sheet on my Dinah model...I may just use the kits national markings and use Aeromaster for the rest of them.

Mike,
I am far from finished with the paint chipping but it will still be restrained compared to a lot of models of Japanese aircraft. It would seem that when the casual Japanese aircraft modeler adds paint chipping they are looking at photographs of captured or grounded aircraft which would often have a great deal of paint worn off of them after a lot of people had climbed over them to study or loot them.
The drop tank that has the dents in it will be getting a little more localized paint chipping on or near those dents. I have no idea if the aircraft I am modeling used drop tanks or not but the paint damaged drop tank will at least make for a more interesting looking model. :D

Matrixone

Earlier today I gave the personal markings a distressed paint look to them, I won't do anymore weathering until the flat clear coat is on the model as I am afraid if I go any further with the paint chipping on the model will start to look cartoonish, its really difficult to weather a glossy finished model and use proper judgment.

hcb93aea.JPG

habc636e.JPG

hc0a624e.JPG

h23815df.JPG

More paint chipping was done on the dents of the drop tank, it looks better in person than it does through the camera lens. :eek:ldguy

hff15439.JPG

Matrixone

I would normally say that you don't need to go any further as this already looks done; but I've seen you take a "finished" model and make it even more phenomenal. Way to go!

Thanks very much guys!

If the model looks beat up enough after the flat coat is on I won't do much more paint chipping...it is so easy to go over the line and do too much weathering. :hmmm

Not much going on with this model today, its wheels (and the wheels of three other models!) were given some weathering and this took a bit more time than expected.

Matrixone

Excellent Job! (y) (y) (y)

Do you think the "salt treatment" would look realistic in 1/72? Or the grains would be too big even for a late Japanese aircraft?

In any case, thanks for the tips. Learned a lot from your model. :notworthy

Cheers

Alex

Thanks James and Alex!

Alex,
Just use smaller grain salt for the small scale models, I use different size salt grains together when I use that weathering technique...no matter what scale of the model.

Matrixone

Nice job Les,

I think I built that kit at least 25 years ago. It seems like it was 1/50th scale? No?

Very sparse if I remember correctly. You've made a silk purse from a sow's ear! (y) (y)

Bob

Thanks Bob!

Yes I believe this kit is closer to 1/50 instead of true 1/48 scale, it has very light detail on both the exterior and interior but it was designed many years ago when not a lot of information was available on Japanese aircraft so Tamiya did a good job on this one considering.

Since I was thinking about building a Dinah, why not two of them?

This odd kit has been lurking in my stash for years, its the Arii 1/72 scale Dinah trainer.

h0d43279.JPG

Here is where I am with this kit right now, some basic parts have been assembled or painted.

ha0a0d12.JPG

There is not much of anything of the interior in this kit but the exterior detail is quite good and as good as anything being sold today.

Here is the Tamiya Dinah, some construction has been done on the interior and I will mix up some AN34 and spray these areas. Unlike the Ki-84 my Japanese Interiors book has plenty of useful information on the Dinah. :) This model will be fun to paint. (y)

h1e63b4c.JPG

he9248da.JPG

h6b9ba3c.JPG

Matrixone

Cool, I had this kit at one time but decided against building it .

Watching you build yours will surely be easier than anything I could have done :rotf

Looking forward to it .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back